1752781 Members
6586 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ELM User unknown error

Than M Maung

ELM User unknown error

I can send e-mail to outside my domain but not within my own domain. Eg. I can send to user@outsidedomain.com but not to user@myowndomain.com. I got User Unknown error.
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: ELM User unknown error

Can you receive mail from within your domain and outside your domain?

BTW, pine is better

PINE = (P)ine (I)s (N)ot (E)lm

http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/project-history.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Than M Maung

Yes. Ican receive mail from within my own domain as well as from other domains. One other thing. I can send mail to machines in my own domain if they are something like user@machine1.mydomain.com. If it is user@mydomain.com then I will get user unknown error. We have a couple of SMTP servers servicing mydomain. I have checked my DNS's MX records also. They are all pointing to the SMTP servers with mydomain.com. That's how external e-mails get to us on the Exchange side.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

If you have multiple HP's, compare the sendmail config file.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Steffen Jaiser
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
looks like the mailing for your domain is not set up correctly.
If user@host.myowndomain.com works (the user has to have an account on that host) and user@myowndomain.com does not, then the mailserver doesn't have the information to what host the mail should be directed to. though better do not ask me how to set it up as I'm no expert on mail servers...
Hope it helped.
Berlene Herren
Honored Contributor

Check your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file.

List all the possible names that this host might by known as, to allow sendmail to determine mail that is destined to be delivered to this machine (ie, it's intended for the local mailer).

localhost
shortname
FQHN

Berlene
http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm