1748236 Members
3648 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA STORAGE AND NFS TOOLKIT ON HP-UX ITANIUM SERVER

DR M.JAVED K JADOON(PHD
Occasional Contributor

EVA STORAGE AND NFS TOOLKIT ON HP-UX ITANIUM SERVER

Would you please confirm the following for us, whether we really need NFS Toolkit just to map SAN STORAGE drive on NFS.

It seems to me that in HP-UX-ITANIUM platform the only way to get NFS service enabled on storage system is through HP service guard NFS toolkit, if this is true
As we will need NFS service to be enabled in storage system for sake of implementation of oracle database RAC and implementation of multi-node Application tier, for that reason you will need to purchase HP service guard NFS toolkit product.

Please advice on this issue.
Doctor of Philosophy
4 REPLIES 4
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

I am not the know-it-all here, but I am surprised to read that an EVA would be able to server NFS out-of-the box.

I think taht what they want to tell you is that if you want to store data on an NFS filesystem, you need an NFS server, being in your case one of your HP-UX systems.

To put this NFS server in a cluster (to allow failover), you probably need the ServiceHuard NFS toolkit.

At the other hand, we run OracleRAC in a 2-node cluster without the use of any NFS. We just use ASM on top of SLVM and that has been working fine for as long as we used it, which is already 3.5 years.
DR M.JAVED K JADOON(PHD
Occasional Contributor

We need a confirmation from some expert! whether NFS is feasible with EVA storage for installing Oracle EBusiness Suite R12.1.1 on HP-UX Itanium platform.

We know that using ASM and EVA raw disk devices system works fine. But our consultant company is pushing us to use NFS.

Please advice, if anyone of you have already worked or have come across such a scenario.
Doctor of Philosophy
Asif Sharif
Honored Contributor

Salam Dr. Jadoon,

Your question is not clear to me.

--> whether we really need NFS Toolkit just to map SAN STORAGE drive on NFS.(Yes)
--> We need a confirmation from some expert! whether NFS is feasible with EVA storage for installing Oracle EBusiness Suite R12.1.1 on HP-UX Itanium platform.

HP Serviceguard NFS Toolkit is a Toolkit that includes the configuration files and control scripts that allow you to use Serviceguard to set up highly available NFS servers. In other words, the toolkit facilitates the installation of clusters that support an NFS server. The configuration files are customized for each end user's environment. Also included is a special monitor script that is used to monitor the health of NFS services. If a service fails, the monitor will issue a restart on the local node or trigger a node switch.

If you need to include separated mount points (which are coming through EVA but from other servers) into cluster then you need NFS toolkit else no.

To learn more about HP Serviceguard Solutions for HP-UX 11i, please visit:

www.hp.com/go/serviceguardsolutions

Regards,
Asif Sharif
Regards,
Asif Sharif

I'm assuming here that you want to operate NFS as a shared APPL_TOP/COMMON_TOP for your EBS12 application servers - as described in this articles here:

http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2009/07/choosing_an_ebs_shared_file_system.html
http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2007/05/reducing_patching_downtimes_vi.html

Now as this will be a single point of failure across all your systems, you will _need_ to make NFS highly available.

So my next question is - are you already using Serviceguard with Oracle RAC, or are you using Oracle's own clusterware?

If you are already using Serviceguard, it will be a relatively simple process to purchase a copy of the NFS toolkit (it's not an expensive product - $765 at list per node) and create a Serviceguard package that makes a NFS filesystem highly available to your application servers.

If you have just an Oracle clusterware stack, and you are _determined_ to go with a shared APPL_TOP, then you have a problem - without Serviceguard you have no easy way of making an NFS filesystem highly available.

Remember you can always choose to challenge the advice of your "consultant" - personally I don't like these sorts of arrangements in application servers as it effectively "tightly couples" all the application servers together - if the NFS filesystem "breaks" or someone deletes something from it, then all application servers are effected. Yes it makes management easier, but at additional risk in my opinion... there are other ways of making sure application servers stay "in sync"

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo