Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing alerts

Emailing alerts

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a background job that would email me when the alert.log received an error msg. I've been trying to use tail -f |grep 'ORA-' but it appears the 'mail' command only works when an EOF is issued. So I never get emails until the process is terminated. I didn't want to have a process run each minute or so and email me the last 10-20 lines of the alert.log because on slow periods the alert.log might not grow enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
4 REPLIES
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Re: Emailing alerts

Hi,
You could write a script which
1) touch toto
2)does a tail ora.log>titi then compares titi with the previous toto and if different send you via email and renames titi to toto...
Then you execute your script as a cron job

All the best
Victor
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

I use the following:

Filename: alerts.ksh (attached)
Description: Automatic monitoring of the production database's ALERT LOG file for exceptions.

Running it as the Oracle User, reschedules daily execution of script - morning, evening and night everyday (uses at)

Makes monitoring of the Alert log easy task!

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj

PS. Don't forget to modify lines:
a. DBA1='myname@mymailserver.mu'
b. SID=pfs

to suit your own enviroment
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)

Well thank you both but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to set something up that notifies me the moment the ORA- is written to the alert_$SID.log. Both solutions are based on a cron job interval time. Granted I could set up a cron job to run each minute but I was hoping there's a way to use tail of some other function to email me instead of displaying the information on the terminal like tail -f does.

tail f- $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$SID/bdump/alert_$SID.log |grep 'ORA-'

This just displays any new lines in the alert.log to my screen. It won't go to the email until I terminate the process. So I believe 'mail' looks for a EOF character before it sends the msg. At the moment I'm using the alert oracheck.run script that compes with the statspack. This is based on a job interval also.
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Something like the following will work:

#!/path/to/your/perl

while (<>) {

if (/ORA-/) {
open $ML, "|/usr/bin/mailx -s 'ORACLE Alert' user@domain.com";
print $ML $_;
close $ML;
}
}