108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Entry level UNIX class

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkSm
Advisor

Entry level UNIX class

Does anybody have any links or docs, (Word, PDF, etc), that could be used for an entry level UNIX class. I want to see whats available and piece something together.
I can give my email to anyone if it needs to be emailed

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Re: Entry level UNIX class

Hi,

If you are looking for bascic things and dont what to be very specific, go for linux and buy some linux books and practice.

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
MarkSm
Advisor

It's not for me to learn, I know some, my small company wants me to train others, and we need HPUX, not Linux.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

HP Education has a UNIX Basics course #51434.

And awhile back I had a customized version of this put together for us by HP Education that just hit the 'very very' specific basics for our programmers. The called it #51434 Custom.

Check with HP Education and see if they might provide the training documents for you for either of these (at a cost I'm sure). Don't know if they will, but it never hurts to ask.

Just a thought,
Rita
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

HP supplies all the reference manuals online for free. As far as actual training, reference manuals are not very good at that and most training courses are proprietary and not available to download. You may find some simplified docs at college and university web sites -- Google can be quite helpful. I see something that might be a possibility:

http://rapid4me.com/?q=hp+unix+training

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
MarkSm
Advisor

That would be nice if I wanted to sign-up for a paid service, but we dont.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> That would be nice if I wanted to sign-up for a paid service, but we dont.

Then you are left to your own devices. If you yourself are knowledgeable you could cobble together your own introduction from otherwise free web resources.

Regards!

...JRF...
MarkSm
Advisor

Already doing that, I just wanted more ideas, anything else that might help
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you give me your email address I can provide you with a presentation about Serviceguard (in exchange for some itrc points). I made it this summer for a small training I held here at my company.
Unix operates with beer.
MarkSm
Advisor

Hello Viktor,

I wasn't looking for Service Guard this time, but I might be able to use it in the future,
so I'll be glad to give you the points for that.
Please indicate if you can which version of SG it is based on if possible, thanks.

msmith@sysmaint.com