108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error with read() function in C program

SOLVED
Go to solution
Curtis Deese
Frequent Advisor

Error with read() function in C program

We are using the following version of cc on HP-UX 11.31 Itanium: cc: HP C/aC++ B3910B A.06.25 [Nov 30 2009]

We are trying to connect from a PowerBuilder client (compiled 32-bit) on Windows to our C program (compilied 64-bit.) Can this be done? The socket_read() function below is returning the following error. Why are we getting this error and how can we resolve it?

3584-09:03:52.916-log Unable to read from client (0/8) errno(22)

3584-09:03:52.929-log sd : '3'
3584-09:03:52.929-log buffer: '99960000'

int socket_read(int sd, char *buffer, int sz)
{
int nbyte ;

/*
* Set the ALARM signal for TimeOut purpose
*/

/*-- [##ARCS] Testing --*/
/*alarm(server_timeout_secs) ;*/
if ((nbyte = read(sd,buffer,sz)) != sz)
{
LogPrintf("Unable to read from client (%d/%d) errno(%d) \n", nby
te, sz, errno) ;
LogPrintf("sd : '%d'", sd);
LogPrintf("buffer: '%s'", buffer);

shutdown_server() ;
}
/*-- [##ARCS] Testing --*/
/*alarm(0) ;*/
return(nbyte) ;
}
19 REPLIES 19
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>connect from a PowerBuilder client (compiled 32-bit) on Windows to our C program (compiled 64-bit.) Can this be done?

Separate processes can be of different bitness. With some issues if using shared memory.

>Unable to read from client (0/8) errno(22)

What is errno 22? What does read(2) say about the conditions that produce that error?

rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you grep for "22" in /usr/include/sys/errno.h you will likely find the mnemonic for that error number, which will then help give you some clues. That, or perror() or strerror() can be used in your application to get the actual error message for a given errno value. You would then need to go to the read(2) manpage and find that mnenomic listed. Might not be a bad idea to also look at the recv(2) manpage.

As Dennis has said - via "networking" 32 vs 64 bits at either end is a "don't care." However, bit ordering is a "care" - Windows is always "little endian" and HP-UX is always "big endian" and if you expect to exchange binary data between them you will have to take that into account.

Drifting further... I assume this is a TCP connection. That being the case, you cannot assume that you will always get "sz" bytes from the read() call against a TCP connection (unless sz is 1). TCP provides a byte-stream service, it does not preserve message boundaries. Therefore, if the other side sends say 1024 bytes, that could arrive at the receiver as 1024, single-byte receives. You will have to handle that situation in your code. Especially when the quantity of data being transferred is larger than the MSS (maximum segment size) for the TCP connection.

If you do not already have it, something like the latest edition of "Unix Network Programming" by Stevens, Fenner and Rudoff would be a good thing to have on your book shelf. Or perhaps one of Stallings' works.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What is errno 22? What does read(2) say about the conditions that produce that error?

I really don't see how you get EINVAL from that read. Though you seem to get 0 bytes back and that doesn't set errno.
Curtis Deese
Frequent Advisor

errno of 22 is EINVAL. I still am not certain why we are getting this. I think the data the PowerBuilder client is sending is not the right size for the server because the PowerBuilder client is compiled 32-bit and the server is compiled 64-bit. I think the memory is getting mixed up between th two. I am waiting for our Oracle DBA to install the 32-bit libraries for Oracle on our UNIX server so that I can compile the server application 32-bit.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Again, since TCP is a byte-stream, the read() call won't care about how many bytes are present or not on the socket. If you ask for 8 and there are 800 it will simply return 8. If you ask for 8 and there are only 4 it will give you the four.

Dennis' observation about the return value of 0 and an errno is a very interesting and good one one. One thing to keep in mind is that absent some non-blocking corner case, a read return of 0 from a socket associated with a TCP connection means the remote has closed his end of the connection. The return of zer o is how that is communicated. That is yet another thing your code will have to be fixed to deal with, along with the byte-stream nature of TCP.

As you are not (I hope) trying to pass pointers, the only data type in 64 bit that would be larger than 32 bit would be "long" and those derived from it.

As for the non-blocking corner case - see the O_NDELAY discussion in the recv(2) manpage.
Curtis Deese
Frequent Advisor

We are using non-blocking I/O. The code was working on our old server (HP-UX 11.11 PA/RISC). We have had the same code for years. The code was compiled 32-bit on our old server. I had to make some small modifications in the code because we moved from Sybase on our old servers to Oracle on our new servers.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Which of the *three* forms of non-blocking I/O does your code use? Only the O_NDELAY form has that troublesome cornercase for recv/read. The other two will always have a return of zero mean the remote has closed its end of the connection.

BTW, little details like the socket being non-blocking are actually quite helpful to include in the initial problem descriptions.
Curtis Deese
Frequent Advisor

NDELAY is not found anywhere in our code, so I do not believe we are using it.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Then I am quite confident that if indeed your read() call is returning zero that the remote end of the TCP connection has called either close() or shutdown(SHUT_WR), or something akin to them if it is using "native" WSA calls on Windows.