4483 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Errors

David Blair
Occasional Contributor

Errors

Two questions:

1) Why would I get the error /dev/pts/tb: file table overflow when attempting to login to my unix machine?

2) If I am at the console and enter ^b to get to the GSP prompt, what do I do in there and how do I get out?

Can you tell I'm not an HP guy?
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

David,
log on to the GSP and use the command "he" to see what the GSP can do for you
(reading the logs, see the status of the power supplies, power cycle the box...)
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Increase the value of nfile from kernel configuration thro SAM
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

1. file table overflow means youve exceeded a kernel value. Increase maxusers of nfile, rebuild the kernel and reboot to fix that.

2. GSP stuff - Patrick is the expert, see his answer.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

1 has been covered.

2 -- simple answer "co" returns you to console mode. Better answer -- use "he" and try every menu option to familiarize yourself with what it can do. Good stuff there.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

One caution about CTRL-B on all HPP 9000 servers: it does put in direct communication with the processor ROMs--on most servers, no login and password is required. There are some serious hardware commands in there that can take down the server and/or force a crash dump.

Be careful about allowing the system console to be in an unsecure area and protect the GSP (found on systems like the N- and L-class) with a login and password. On many servers, there is a switch or key to disable the CTRL-B access method.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

One caution about CTRL-B on all HPP 9000 servers: it does put in direct communication with the processor ROMs--on most servers, no login and password is required. There are some serious hardware commands in there that can take down the server and/or force a crash dump.

Be careful about allowing the system console to be in an unsecure area and protect the GSP (found on systems like the N- and L-class) with a login and password. On many servers, there is a switch or key to disable the CTRL-B access method.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

David:

Just to add to Alan's & Bill's comments. On K-class servers the key to which Bill refers in in the very front. It's a 3-position switch (off, normal, maintenance as I recall). On a D-class you will find a small, slide switch on the back of the cabinet. Because of the "power" available in the enabled mode, I prefer to leave the key or switch disabled so that an inadvertant CTL_B can't be issued. May save you a middle of the night call from an operator who inadvertanty got where they shouldn't.

...JRF...