Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimating amount of CPUs for Oracle

Rems Grinsteinss
Occasional Contributor

Estimating amount of CPUs for Oracle

Hi,
I am currently planning -
1. Development server upgrade
2. Production server

There is a lot of information about RAM usage all over the internet, but there is no info about CPU usage.

I will run Oracle 9i Application Server and Oracle server 9i un those servers.

I have heard that every 70 concurrent users of 9iAS need 1 CPU. So if 150 concurrent users I need 2 CPUs.
Is this true?
How to calculate amount of needed CPUs from amount of concurrent users for 9IAS and Oracle Database?

Can anyone assist me with his/her experience?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Estimating amount of CPUs for Oracle

We're running x92 9I users on one of our production servers and they use almost 1 cpu (550Mhz job) - so dont forget to include how fast your processors are going to be, 550's are 25% more powerful (approx) than 440's, and you can get 600's and 700Mhz cpu's for rpxxxx's now. 800's on the way I believe.

Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Rems Grinsteinss
Occasional Contributor

Development server - L 1000 - 440 Mhz
Production server - N 1000 - 440 Mhz
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

If you have 440Mhz cpu's then your figures are about right - approx 70 per cpu. A single 550 can handle about 90-100 fine (about 25% up on the total for a 440).
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...