New Discussion юеВ

Re: Example of hp-ux project.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve TZ
Advisor

Example of hp-ux project.

Hello,

I'am looking for ideas, examples of small hp-ux projects which I can do as junior hp-ux administator. Please don't hesitate if you have some ideas?

Thanks in advance.
22 REPLIES 22
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Are you standalone or in a network with other sand boxes to play with?

a) Setup NFS to localhost unless you have another box to act as an NFS client

b) Setup nameserver is a good project, see 'hosts_to_named' command and read about configuring a DNS / nameserver.

c) Sendmail is important to configure but you'll need the name of a Outlook mail server. Note: If you decide to setup your box for receiving emails the be aware that it is a huge security leak. Typically, outgoing is as far as sendmail admins go.

d) Get a system performance set of scripts up and running. If you don't have one then search the ITRC for examples. SEP often publishes his set.

e) Adding in 2ndary swap just for the lesson.

Go to the Freeware HP-UX website and download and install commands like 'lsof' and 'tcpdump'.

Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Depending on how much hardware you have to play with:

Set up CIFS/Samba to share UNIX f/s with another UNIX box, or Windows

Set up a 2 node MC/SG cluster

Set up an SSH connection between two UNIX boxes so you can do passwordless,secure,encrypted file transfer.
Then set up SSH connection between your UNIX box and a Windows box.

Now, some of this may be a bit beyond a junior admin...but hey getting these things mastered is what takes you to the next level.

Have fun....and so refreshing to see someone who actually wants to learn it and do themself!! Instead of just saying ..."...someone give me all the answers cause I'm to "xxxx" to even bother to do a search"

Hats off to you Steve!
Regards,
Rita
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Project 1 - Basic Ignite Recovery from tape

Make a recovery tape using Ignite (make_tape_recovery)
See if you can rebuild your box using your new Ignite recovery tape.

Project 2 - Learning the kernel/Performance and Tuning

Do a little research on O/S version and parms.
You already have a tape recovery of your current O/S-so you can go rebuild if you need too!!

Play with the kernel.
Take a view of how your system is running.
Take a list of what the parms are set at.
Learn and use the following:
sar commands (man sar)
vmstat command (man vmstat)
swapinfo command (man swapinfo)
glance

Now one at a time change a parm and go back and see what affect that had your system performance.
Example:
Depending on O/S version:

dbc_max_% set to default 50
dbc_min_% also leave at default
(On 11.31 the above would be filecache_max;filecache_min)

nproc
maxdsiz
ninode
maxusers
maxuprc
shmmax
vx_ninode

See not only how the parm affects performance, but take note of when you change some parms, how other parms get changed automatically....which ones...how is box affected. Is the default or auto-changes good?/bad? effect on performance.

Figure out which other ones you might like to check out.

Have fun....
Regards,
Rita

Steve TZ
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Find my comment below:

Michael

Are you standalone or in a network with other sand boxes to play with?

=> I am not standalone. There are some test servers on the network

b) Setup nameserver is a good project

=> Setup nameserver could have impact on existing environment since we already have dns running.
By the way, I have already tried to setup a dns server (bind) on linux (ubuntu) at home on my computers. It worked. I found it interesting.

c) Sendmail is important to configure

=>Sendmail is already configured.

d) Get a system performance set of scripts up and running. If you don't have one then search the ITRC for examples. SEP often publishes his set.

=> This is very interesting because I am learning scripting. It can also be a benefit for our existing environment.But I didn't understand: SEP often pubishes his set. What is SEP?

e) Adding in 2ndary swap just for the lesson.

=> I have already done this

Go to the Freeware HP-UX website and download and install commands like 'lsof' and 'tcpdump'.

=> I have also already done this. I use sometimes tcpdump but I have to admit that it is difficult to understand the output of tcpdump

Rita

Set up CIFS/Samba to share UNIX f/s with another UNIX box, or Windows

=> This is intersting product. Could this replace NFS if it is used between unix boxes.Apparently it is more secure.

Set up a 2 node MC/SG cluster:

=> Beyond a junior admin I guess :)

Set up an SSH connection between two UNIX boxes

=> I already did this between unix boxes

Project 1 - Basic Ignite Recovery from tape

=> I already did this after a new server installation

Project 2 - Learning the kernel/Performance and Tuning

=> I will do it.
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

Steve,

This may help you.

1. LVM - Boot mirroring, create different types of stripping, Move to LVM2, Modify VG parameters, VG version migration, Dynamic Root Disk.

2. Create Npar/Vpar.

3. Create Ignite image create through network and recover the system.

4. Create software depots.
Steve TZ
Advisor

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback

1. Dynamic Root Disk seems to be a nice product which gives the ability to clone an HP-UX system image to an inactive disk.

My problem is that on the new HP servers I have seen till now, the disks have sas controller configured. By the way, how can I monitor disks mirrored on hardware level? If a disk fails then I can know. I have seen that ioscan shows one disk when sas is configured.
Example ioscan: disk 1 0/4/1/0.0.0.1.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP IR Volume.

Is it possible to unconfigure the sas controller and use LVM MirrorDisk/UX? What is the best, sas controller or LVM MirrorDisk/UX?

3. Create Ignite image create through network and recover the system.
=> This exists already

4. Create software depots.
=> => This exist already
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

=> This is very interesting because I am learning scripting. It can also be a benefit for our existing environment.But I didn't understand: SEP often pubishes his set. What is SEP?

SEP is the acronym for Steven E. Protter, one of the three 2-star Olympians around in the forums.

He put a lot of useful stuff from the itrc on his webpage: http://www.hpux.ws

Or short, i always would pull off my hat for him.

For the projects, i'm pretty sure if you go a little bit in depth Ignite, Performance and DRD will keep you busy for some months.

Another suggestion would be CIMServer, regarding Remote Support more and more important.

Best,
Stephan
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Stephan: SEP is the acronym for Steven E. Protter

(Acronyms for people's names are generally called initials. :-)
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

My fault, as non native speaker, there is always a word that's missing and I was too lazy to check it.

At least, the initials are an acronym and I did not say something funny. :o)

Best,
Stephan