5538 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Exceed & HPUX

Vassilios
Frequent Advisor

Exceed & HPUX

Hello,

We have a HPUX server that is running memory-intensif applications. We can connect to the server using Exceed and launch those processes. However, there are some applications that are not launching. It seems when we click (execute) the icon for our applications - nothing happens. Now, I believe that the system is sending the IP@ of the application X11 session to the IP@ of the UNIX server (localhost) not to the PC with the Exceed software.

Would that be a correct assumption, or should I not give up my day job as a basket weaver?

Doing a setenv DISPLAY :0.0 won't work as the process in which the application is running will not know the setenv display variable that has been set after the application has executed. We would have to set it up before running and then execute it again with the correct setenv DISPLAY variable.

Is there a way to send X11 applications to another display without restarting the application?

How can I monitor what's happening with the server with respect to what its launch?

How can I test to see whether or not the application has really been launched and is just going nowhere...

If I'm mistaken about this, please let me know.

Many many thanks! You guys are brilliant.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Exceed & HPUX

> It seems when we click (execute) the icon...
How was the icon created? Properties?

> to the IP@ of the UNIX server
It is possible.

> Is there a way to send X11 applications to another display without restarting the application?
NO!
> How can I monitor what's happening with the server with respect to what its launch?
If the application can not find an x-display it will errro out with such a message. Look for errors on the exceed console or the application logs if they exist.

> How can I test to see whether or not the application has really been launched and is just going nowhere...
Use the "ps -ef |grep " on the server.

Vassilios
Frequent Advisor

Which log files on the UNIX server would show what's going on whilst I execute these applications?

Thanks
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Without knowing what application you are executing it would be impossible to say.

but.. the quasi application might just have a log file, one would expect a display error to show on the screen. If you are not executing from a shell then you need to tell exceed to log session info.

Continue to explain exactly what you are doing from what, to what, via what..........