108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Export from 8.1.7.4 and Import to 8.0.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adrian Sobers2
Super Advisor

Export from 8.1.7.4 and Import to 8.0.5

Here is the situation. We need to do some testing for part of our application that was rewritten. We will test on INLAND3 (running 8.0.5 database engine) but will need the information from inland8 (running 8.1.7.4 database engine).

Follow and let me know if I am on the right track. We will need to backup the schema on INLAND3. Then execute the DROP USER ABC CASCADE statement for that user to get rid of the schema, good.

Now the question is, how do I use the 8.0.5 export utility (do I have to do it across Net8?) to export the 8.1.7.4 ABC schema? If so, how do I go about this?

Urgent help required, thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor
Solution

Take a look at Metalink article 132904.1 it will give you more details.
Basically you export from 8i using the 8.0 export utility, then import into 8.0 with the 8.0 import. As long as sqlnet is configured between your servers you should be able to run the following from your 8.0 server - using the 8.0 ORACLE_HOME

exp user/passwd@8i_database
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

this should not be a problem as long as you are using the 8.0.5 EXP/IMP to export/import the 8.1.7.4 database objects and you have the appropriate tns entry in your tnsnames.ora.

If both the databases are on the same server, you may consider using SQLCOPY.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Adrian Sobers2
Super Advisor

I see two export utilities under:

$ORACLE_HOME/bin

They are, exp and expO

When I run both with help=Y option, they both say the utility version is 8.1.7.4. Where is the 8.0 export utility and how do I use it to export from 8i?

I need detailed help, thanks.
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

"exp" is current version whereas "exp0" is previous version (before patch installation)

This is typical if you went from oracl8i 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4

Youc an also check in $ORACLE_HOME/bin you probably have oracle and oracle0. Checj timestamp for these binary pgms.

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Adrian Sobers2
Super Advisor

Yes we did in fact go from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4 so I guess that explains it.

The timestamps are:

-rwxr-x--x 1 oracle dba 1286144 Sep 23 18:34 exp
-rwxr-x--x 1 oracle dba 1286144 Sep 1 19:28 expO

But this still does not help me with the 8.0.5 export utility? How do I use that on this 8.1.7.4 machine?
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Patti gave you the answers

1) use the export of the lower version
that is exp 8.0.5

2) use import of the target database
that is again imp 8.0.5

3) setup your tnsname entry on the target server and test SQLNET connect say with sqlplus

then run export over SQLNET

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Adrian,

I think Yogeeraj is suggestion to simply use EXP as client with a 8.0 Oracle home, possibly on a different box, and have it connect "@" through TNSnames to the 8.1.7 DB.

Also... had you already tried an export under 8.1.7 and import 8.0? Did it complain bitterly or just wine a little :-).

Hein.

Adrian Sobers2
Super Advisor

So I have to log onto 8.0.5 server and use export from there over SQLNET to connect to 8.1.7.4 database via a database link right?
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

That is correct.
As long as your 8i database is accessable from you 8.0 server it will work. If sqlplus works - exp will work.