Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extneding the /var file system

Michael Slagel
Occasional Contributor

Extneding the /var file system

Hp-ux 11
Can anyone point me to doco on how to extend the /var file system? I know I need to reboot in single user with this not mounted and then do certain commands. Any help? Thanks.
11 REPLIES
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Extneding the /var file system

Michael:

If you have OnlineJFS you can do this "on-the-fly". This is a "chargeable" product feature but well worth the cost. You can use SAM to guide you throught the resize, or you can do this yourself. Do:

# lvextend -L n /dev/vgxx/lvolx
# fsadm -b 1024n /var

where n is the NEW SIZE of the logical volume in megabytes, not the increment in size;

and, 1024n is the product of 1024 and the number of megabytes you want to filesystem to ultimately be.

...JRF...
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

You can not just extend /var even if you have On-Line JFS. /var needs to be contiguous. You can work around it by removing the logical volume that occupies the space contiguous to /var. That's more trouble than it's worth.
The easiest way I have seen is to do a make_recovery tape. Then rebuild your vg00 from that tape and resize the /var logical volume. It's very easy, works very well and depending on the size of vg00 I've found it takes 2-3 hours.

Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

1. If /var is VxFS and you purchased OnLine JFS, you can do it on the fly. If you do not have OnLine JFS, see 2.
2. If /var is HFS, you have to boot in single user mode, lvextend the logical volume where /var resides, extendfs and everything should be fine. No other headaches. To boot in single user mode and the syntax for lvextend, extendfs, see ?Installing HP-UX 11.0 and Updating HP-UX 10.x to 11.0, Chapter 7 Troubleshooting, Adjusting File System Size. The example from there is exactly on increasing /var. See as well same book on http://www.docs.hp.com/dynaweb/hpux11/@Generic__CollectionView
Jim Mulshine
Frequent Advisor

Philip Chan_1
Respected Contributor

Take a look at the system admin section, similiar question has been answered recently there with a lots of details.

Cheers.
Philip
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Dave mentioned that /var needs to be contiguous; I don't believe this is correct though. / (root), /stand, primary swap, and the dump area needs to be contiguous, but nothing more that I know of (or can find in any documentation). It is entirely possible that the install process (or Ignite) may setup /var to be contiguous by default (it's been a while since I've done a full install), but I can't see any reason why this could not be changed if you find it to be that way on your system.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Boot into sindle user mode (don't do the init -S or init 1 - boot into single user), make var is umounted, do the lvextend and extendfs, reboot or just go to init 3.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

Do the following:
1.Backup up your /var
2. bdf to know where /var is
3.Boot through ISL to single user mode (ISL>hpux -is)
4.lvextend -L NNN /dev/vg00/lvoln (for var)
5.extendfs -F (filesystem) /dev/vg00/rlvoln
6.reboot

Cheers!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

Do the following:
1.Backup up your /var
6.reboot

Cheers!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

Do the following:
1.Backup up your /var
6.mount /var and restore from back
7.reboot

Cheers!
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Tim is right. /var does not have to be contiguous. I made that mistake because I had inherited a system where the volume had been created to be contiguous and it caused me problems.
Thanks for the proof read there.