1753601 Members
6950 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: FIX Protocol Performance testing

vishaljuneja
Occasional Visitor

FIX Protocol Performance testing

I want to understand that thow can i test the FIX messages and check the server performance 

5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

You're asking about _what_, exactly?

> [...] the FIX messages [...]

What are these messages?

> [...] the server [...]

What, exactly, is your "the server"?  Is it running some software?

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

If the FIX protocol is the Financial Information Exchange protocol, than I would still question what you are trying to measure.  Are you looking for transactions per unit time for the server or are you looking for the elapsed time per transaction? There are many variables here and an understanding of what problem you are trying to solve would be helpful.

Please note that artificial workloads are not often very useful in predicting performance of real systems.

What is the requirement here?  What server performance metric are you after.  Maybe with some additional information, we can provide a useful response.

Also, this is the OpenVMS forum.  Is the server an OpenVMS server system?  If so, what hardware and what version of OpenVMS.  Include any layered products and the networking software too.

Dan

vishaljuneja
Occasional Visitor

I have a scenario where Dealers are sending FIX messages to Server and Customer are receving msg via Server. So i need to chk the load in Server and through put .

Load can vary from 1 Billion trade to 1 million trades as 10000 dealers are goin to connect to server

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

You are effectivly looking for a performance evaluation study which would be well beyond the scope of this forum.

This type of study can be provided by a number of firms (of which I am one for full disclosure).

I would suggest that you contact an OpenVMS services organization for assistance with this study.

Dan

Bengt Torin
Occasional Advisor

To get a usefull evaluation/performance report You must specify a lot of thing like type of FIX protocol, is it standard FIX or the fast variant. You must specify version since it will have an impact on the performance, heartbeat freq, message size and so on. We are using FIX, but performance is an open question. Towards one server we have nice performance but same message flow against another server is poor.

Good luck