Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP bad logins

Mark Zukas
Occasional Contributor

FTP bad logins

How do I get my ftp bad logins to showup in my btmp file. Currently, we have realized that they show up as good logins in the wtmp file; but not as bad logins in the btmp file.
3 REPLIES
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

Re: FTP bad logins

Edit /etc/inetd.conf file:
in ftp line start the ftpd daemon with -l option:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/ftpd -l
recycle ined daemon: /usr/sbin/inetd -c.
That will allow to log ftp entries into syslog file (/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log).
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

I am not sure if this will help you but the ftpd on the ftp server should be logging ALL calls to the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file if you have informational events turned on for logging. Here is a example:

Good loggin:

connection from ptscp536.ptsc.slg.eds.com at ftpd[29442]: FTP LOGIN FROM ptscnt6, pde
ftpd[29442]: PORT
ftpd[29442]: User pde logged out

Bad loggin:

connection from cxixnt5 at ftpd[289]: User root: Login incorrect
ftpd[290]: connection from cxixnt5
ftpd[290]: User deritag: Login incorrect

Tony
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

I don't know how to get bad ftp logins sent to the btmp file, but what I did was in /etc/inetd.conf change the end of the ftpd line to be ftpd -l -v

This will cause ftp information, including bad logins, to be logged to /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

After making the change, issue the command inetd -c

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality