1752790 Members
6243 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FTP of Adobe Illustrator files Windows to Unix

Don Bentz
Regular Advisor

FTP of Adobe Illustrator files Windows to Unix

I have a user who needs to "get" a *.pdf file containing Adobe Illustrator data. This is to be used as an attachment to a file sent using sendmail. It appears that even when specifying "bin" as the type, the file is still getting corrupted. Does anybody have any suggestions. I have ensured the "carriage return" is being stripped, but still no success.
Insecurity is our friend. It keeps you dependent.
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: FTP of Adobe Illustrator files Windows to Unix

You could try archiving the Illustrator file into a .ZIP file using WinZip or some other Windows utility and then unzip it after it has been ftp'd in binary mode.

That may keep the file intact during the transfer.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Don Bentz
Regular Advisor

Actually the FTP is apparently not the problem. It seems that when we use "elm" to send the mail with this file as the attachment, it works just fine. Using sendmail (building the MIME headers) is where the problem occurs. The problem is apparently with how the headers are constructed. The MIME version is the same, since it is being done on the same server. In both cases, the header looks like this:
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=UH-4801.pdf
Content-Description: UH-4801.pdf
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64,
but when we send it with sendmail, the output file (when attached) says "Line too long" and the trailing boundary is missing. Any ideas?
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Don,

Try using uuencode to encode the pdf file on the Unix side, then open the attachment on the Windows side. I've done this before with output from an MFG/Pro report which users wanted to import into an excel spreadsheet.

Basically, you do something like this:

uuencode >
mail users@domain <

See man page uuencode(1) for further info.

Regards,
Mark
Don Bentz
Regular Advisor

Mark, I had tried this, but the command
"uuencode file.pdf > fileo.pdf" seemed to be just sitting there. After a few minutes, I looked at the process in glance and checked "open files", I saw only 1 write for the output file. Anybody have any ideas?