1753501 Members
3528 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fedora Core 6 does not recognise my HP2045W monitor

Chris Jones
Advisor

Fedora Core 6 does not recognise my HP2045W monitor

I have a new HP2045W LCD monitor connected to my Fedora Core 6 PC, and this monitor does not show in the Display configuration menu. Also, the best resolution I can acheive seems to be 1024x768 and not (say) 1600x1050 which should be achievable.

Any ideas anyone?
3 REPLIES 3
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Chris,

I have had similar issues with my display in the past. What I personally had to do was to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by hand to include the information that I needed to make my monitor do what I thought it should.

Do you know anything at all about the xorg.conf file?
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Chris Jones
Advisor

John

I do not know a great deal about the file. So any explanation of what needs to be done will be greatfully received.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Chris,

This is a subject that I have spent way too much time on in the past and I could probably talk around this until I had you completely confused.

For issues strictly involving Fedora, I personally use a completely different Forum. I would never try to pull users from this forum for any reason, but I will direct you attention to a thread I had opened over there in the interest of hopefully letting you get a better handle on how the file works and hopefully what you can do to further your efforts.

One thing I might suggest to see if it can easily be fixed is to try running, as root, system-config-display. You might be surprised to find that you will find a generic setting in there that will suit your needs.

If not, you might want to go look at this thread for more food for thought. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77709
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855