Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora Core 6 does not recognise my HP2045W monitor

Chris Jones
Advisor

Fedora Core 6 does not recognise my HP2045W monitor

I have a new HP2045W LCD monitor connected to my Fedora Core 6 PC, and this monitor does not show in the Display configuration menu. Also, the best resolution I can acheive seems to be 1024x768 and not (say) 1600x1050 which should be achievable.

Any ideas anyone?
3 REPLIES
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fedora Core 6 does not recognise my HP2045W monitor

Chris,

I have had similar issues with my display in the past. What I personally had to do was to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by hand to include the information that I needed to make my monitor do what I thought it should.

Do you know anything at all about the xorg.conf file?
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Chris Jones
Advisor

John

I do not know a great deal about the file. So any explanation of what needs to be done will be greatfully received.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Chris,

This is a subject that I have spent way too much time on in the past and I could probably talk around this until I had you completely confused.

For issues strictly involving Fedora, I personally use a completely different Forum. I would never try to pull users from this forum for any reason, but I will direct you attention to a thread I had opened over there in the interest of hopefully letting you get a better handle on how the file works and hopefully what you can do to further your efforts.

One thing I might suggest to see if it can easily be fixed is to try running, as root, system-config-display. You might be surprised to find that you will find a generic setting in there that will suit your needs.

If not, you might want to go look at this thread for more food for thought. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77709
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855