8405 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fedora core 3 install

Daniel Fourie
Frequent Advisor

Fedora core 3 install

Hi all

I have got a really strange problem. I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 on a XW8000 HP Workstation with dual xeon 2.6 processors. Everything goes fine during the installation process (keyboard and mouse function properly). After the installation the keyboard and mouse do not function anymore.

Please help
Knowlage is Power
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

They keyboard and mouse are USB aren't they?

When the box is booting, do you see the USB drivers start (it'll say 'Initializing USB controller'), followed by 'HID' messages ('Initializing USB HID interface' and 'Initializing USB keyboard' and 'Initializing USB mouse') ?
One long-haired git at your service...
Daniel Fourie
Frequent Advisor

No they both are ps/2
Knowlage is Power
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Alright then, that's rather odd.

Does the keyboard work prior to booting, i.e. during PRE (bios) and POST (Grub interface) ?

Are you booting up into X (GUI) or into the text? If you use the GUI, try booting into runlevel 3 instead (edit grub boot line, append '3'), and see if the keyboard works there.

If it works after that, try going into 'single usermode' by editing the boot line, appending 's' in grub. See if it works there.

If it does, reboot, and try booting in Interactive mode (when it says "Press I", do so), and see if the keyboard stops working at some point.
One long-haired git at your service...
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

try and see whether your keyboard is active( checking num lock status by toggling it) during text mode boot process until it gets on to GUI. if it works till GUI mode then the most likely problem is your keyboard and mouse configuration.

try changing it to run level 3 as stuart mentioned, and see whether it solves your problem. edit grub.conf and add 3 to your kernel parameters line to boot in to run level 3.

if it is not working in text mode also, then check up at exactly what point the keyboard and mouse are getting struck.

This problem might be because of gpm (which loads console mouse) service also, so try to boot in to interactive boot mode and say no to starting of gpm service and if it works then run mouseconfig to reconfigure your mouse.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup