1752631 Members
5967 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fedora help

Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

Fedora help

I installed Fedora 4 on my laptop as a dual boot. I had to do the install in text mode because my screen would come up white.

The install seemed to go well; I have the dual boot prompt and windows starts and runs ok.
But when Fedora boots, I get the white screen again.

There is an option that says to press "I" for interactive boot. I tried "i", "i" followed by Enter, "I", etc., but it just goes through the motions and brings up the white screen.

Oh, there is an initial mouse pointer ("X") that comes up briefly, then goes away.

How do I fix that?

Also, the dual boot defaults to Fedora; how do I change it to windows?
22 REPLIES 22
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Fedora help

When you get the boot menu (GRUB), select to boot linux but do not press ENTER.

Press the followin keys:

Any key to stop the autoboot
a
ENTER
b

You will start in rulevel 3, so X won't be started. You can run system-config-display --reconfig.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

OK, followed these instructions but nothing changed.

I stopped the auto boot.
While at the boot menu, with Fedora selected, I pressed a. Nothing hapened.

Then I pressed 3, still nothing hapenned.

I pressend ENTER and the boot process begins. I immediately press b.

The process continues as before. I get to the Welcome step and it again says to press 'I' to enter interactive startup.

No matter what I do from this point, I get the white screen.
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

Well, I resorted to the good ol' CTL+C to interrupt the boot. I got the interactive startup.

Problem is it asks a lot of questions on starting processes and I have no clue as to which I should or should not start. I tried replying n to all and got to a screen that says

"I could not start the X server due to some internal error. Please contact sys admin to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart gdm when the problem is correcte."

Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

I tried several combinations and by relying Y to the "first boot" prompt I was able to get a login:
However, the user I configured 'does not exist' and the root password is incorrect. I guess I'm going to have to re-install and see how that goes.
Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

Note, where I suggest you type something in, do *not* include the quote marks (unless I specifically say to do so!).

First off let's get booted:

When you power up the laptop, after the BIOS start up, you should get the GRUB window that says something about booting linux (Fedora) in 10 seconds, press a key to interrupt.

Press the any key if your keyboard has one (bad joke).

Just interrupt the GRUB boot by pressing a key. You should now have a GRUB display showing your dual boot options (and no count down timer - if there is a count down time, press a key again (any key will do!)).

Next, you can alter the boot options for this boot.

If the root password is wrong, you can boot into single user mode and reset the password:

Making sure the splash screen still says something about GRUB, make sure the Fedora option is highlighted.

There are some instructions at the bottom that say:

"Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the commands before booting, 'a' to modify kernel arguments before booting, or 'c' for a command-line."

Press 'a'

The screen should now change to show you a line which may say something like:

grub append> ro root=label=/ rhgb .....

At the end of the line, add the word 'single'

This tells the boot process that you want to boot the laptop into single user mode.

Next, hit return.

Your system *should* boot up straight into a command prompt.

From here you can set the root password:

sh-3.00# passwd

Enter the new password, then re-enter it to confirm.

A word of warning: Bear in mind that your original password may have been set 'incorrectly' if your keyboard layout is not the same as that which the system thought it was!

Avoid using characters that may change depending on your keymap For example, '@' and '"' characters are often swapped about. As are '├В┬г' (UK Pound sign) and '#').

This will sort out the root password.

Next, you can edit your boot config so that Windows is the default boot option:

(Assuming you know how to use the 'vi' editor)

sh-3.00# vi /boot/grub/grub.conf

You will see a line that reads something like:

default=0

This tells the system which menu option is the default one to boot from.

Further below in the file, you will see at least two lines that begin:

title

These are the start of your menu options.

I'll assume that they are something like:

title Fedora Core 4 ...

title Windows ...

Everything in GRUB starts counting from zero (not one). So the first option (Fedora) is option zero. The second option (Windows) is option one.

Change the:

default=0

to read:

default=1

*IF* Windows is the second option. If windows is the first option, then I guess the defaults I've written above would be the other way around!

Next, you need to sort out X.

Currently, your laptop is in single user mode and you won't be able to run any X config type apps.

Execute:

sh-3.00# init 3

This will tell the system to change from single user mode to run level three (multi-user, non-graphical).

You will need to log in (as root).

Login using your new password and execute:

# system-config-display --reconfig

If all goes well, you should have a graphical gui start up which allows you to configure your X11 display.

For more info on how X11 works, google about and you should find lots of material.

Top-tip: Google has a linux specific search engine:

http://www.google.com/linux

Go from there.

Regards,

Andy Bruce
I Love it when a plan comes together!
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

I'm reloading as I type this, but will keep this in mind if I run into trouble.

I can remember that the only option at the grub menu was to enter 'p' to enter a password for security something or other. No 'a' or anything else.

We will see in a while.

Thanks.
Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

Ah!

Sounds like you maybe set up a password for the GRUB loader which stops ner-do-well individuals from trying to access your system in the way I just described!

Could it be that the password that you thought you'd set up for root was actually the GRUB loader password?

Anyway, if this happens again, enter the password, then you should be able to do what I described earlier!

Any problems, give us a shout!

Regards,

Andy Bruce

ps Some points wouldn't go a miss! ;-)
I Love it when a plan comes together!
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

I tried the password at that prompt but it did not work either.
I'll post back as soon as I'm done with the install.
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

I'm at the 'system-config-display--reconfig' part.

It says "command not found"

I tried a space after ...-display as in

'system-config-display --reconfig'

but that did not work, all I get is the help text. What am I doing wrong?