New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fedora help

Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

You want to use:

# system-config-display --reconfig

white space---------------^

(Hopefully my arrow lines up correctly!)

i.e. two 'words'

1. system-config-display
2. --reconfig

with an empty space between the '...lay' and the '--rec...'

(IIRC -- (double minus) is for defining options according to a posix compliancy thing, and you see it a lot in Linux. Most folk are more accustomed to just seeing single minus signs - confusing! :-)

Regards,

Andy Bruce
I Love it when a plan comes together!
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

OK, the command ran, but I still get the mouse pointer(X) briefly, then a totally white screen, which by the way is smaller than the available space on my monitor. Grrrrr!
Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

Ok.

Next step:

Reboot into runlevel 3

(do what I described for single user mode, but replace the 'single' with the number '3').

Manually edit the X11 config file:

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and set up a very basic X-Display configuration (e.g. 640x480 8 bit colour).

Once you have done this, execute:

# init 5

which will launch the graphical mode.

If this *still* doesn't work, you can flip between graphical and text mode using the virtual consoles:

ctr-alt-F1 to ctr-alt-F6 should all give you text consoles, while ctr-alt-F7 will return you to the graphical screen.

In fact, as I think about it, no need to reboot!

Boot up.

Once the screen messes up, hit ctr-alt-F1 and you *should* get a text screen.

Execute:

# init 3

to switch off the X display

edit the xorg.conf file

Execute:

# init 5

to get the X display up again, and see if it is showing enything.

This way, you can flip between init 3 and init 5 to make adjustments without rebooting.

As for the changes to your xorg.conf file, I can't comment without knowing what your hardware is.

One other thing you can do, is look to see if Fedora has loaded a driver for your graphics adapter:

Execute:

# lsmod

and you will be shown a list of all the kernel modules (drivers) that are currently loaded.

Hopefully, you will see something that is relevent to your hardware (e.g. radeon, or nvidia (sometimes also 'nv', etc.).

Regards,

Andy Bruce
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

"...and set up a very basic X-Display configuration (e.g. 640x480 8 bit colour)"

How do I do that? There is no similar entry in that file now that I can use as a guide. here is what it says:

#XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# six lines of comments.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
"/etc/X11/xorg.conf" 130L, 3322C

Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

In the hopes that you can help me make this work, here is some info on my hdw.

Toshiba Satellite 1805-S207

Graphics/Video:
Active Matrix disp, supports up to 16M colors at 1024 x 768
Trident Cybr ALADDiN-T integrated controller 16MB external UMA VRAM
3D Graph Accel, AGP bus support 2D graph accel, BitBLT hdw, HDW cursor, Direct Draw support.
External color support:
Lists ranges from 640x480 to 1600x1200

My Windows 2003 Server OS lists a Standard VGA Display
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Run system-config-display. If you have problems, or if you cannot find the exact model for your video adapter and monitor, try the most similar one, or a generic monitor that supports the resolution of your display.

To configure a "generic" video adapter driver, run:

system-config-display --reconfig --set-driver=vesa

The "vesa" works with all video adapters, but lacks of specific features.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Andrew Bruce
Valued Contributor

Have you had a look at any xorg documentation?

Try http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto/slackfiles/books/slackware-basics/html/x11.html

for a start.

The critical bits of your xorg.conf (for display) will begin with something like:

Section "Device"

EndSection

and

Section "Screen"

EndSection

Obviously, you'll need to make sure the display driver stuff is appropriate for your hardware.

Likewise, the display resolution stuff is where you can tell the system what resolution and colour depth should be used.

I just did a bit of searching on your video card and found the following example of an xorg.conf file:

http://rf.com.br/files/Toshiba_1805-S254_XF86Config-4.txt

Copy the appropriate sections into your display and device definitaions and see if it helps.

Don't forget to back up your current config!

I also found a web page from someone who has installed Redhat 7.2 on the same laptop model as yours:

http://home.comcast.net/~steven.fricke/toshiba/

There will be stuff there that is applicable to your set up (they're using XFree86 as opposed to xorg, but I believe the configuration files are pretty much the same...)

Good luck,

Andy Bruce
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

I tried the options in the sample files and the only progress I made was to extend the display area, but it is still all white.

With the "=vesa" option I get a somewhat part-legible screen with the words

"In Touch with Tomorrow"
"TOSHIBA"

across the top, but not much else. I can however toggle between text and graphics mode, which I couldn't do with the previous options.

Frustration starting to set in...
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Try again with the vesa driver, but a different monitor model. The monitor has influence in the resolution that can be displayed. After you set the driver-vesa, run system-config-display again without options to change the monitor type.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Felipe Rodriguez_1
Frequent Advisor

What options are those?