1753283 Members
5264 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fedora installation

syncronetchris
Occasional Contributor

Fedora installation

I am considering the HP ProLiant ML110 Generation 7 (G7) server. ... but I want to install Fedora 14 i386 on this server.  Is this ok to do?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it is ok to do. If it is a 64bit CPU architecture server and you plan to use more than 4GB of RAM, consider installing x86_64 version of Fedora instead of i386 (which is 32bit).

syncronetchris
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. Everything I have read eluded to the same, but a experienced second opinion helps me sleep at night ;).

I have been advised by the 3rd Party Software reseller to "download a revision 4 for LINUX executable".  Rather than using Fedora 15, I was considering scaling it back to Fedora 14 (or earlier).

Can you advise (from the link below) which i386 package "revision 4 for LINUX executable" is the one to download?

http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/

Please keep in mind, I have to run a 32-bit OS on a new sever, I can not run the 64-bit OS.

Thanks again in advance.

Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Not exactly sure, what they meant by "revision 4 for LINUX executable". Maybe that was in regard to the Linux kernel version? If so, the last Fedora release to feature kernel 2.4.* was Fedora 1 which was released in 2003 - really old stuff. These days actual kernel versions are 2.6.* and more recently - 3.*.

Please provide more info on "revision 4 for LINUX executable" criteria.

sivakumarm

Is it possible to install the fedora 7 i386 or CentOS5.4 i386 in the ML110 G7 server family?

Actually, we wanted to install the above mentioned OS in the ML110 G7 server and I'm searching the ways to do so.

Current behavior is : as soon as I choose the language/keyboard layout, it asks for a driver and never finds it. I tried copying the RHEL5 drivers (SATA controller) in the USB and then tried to load. Even this didn't help.

Any clue, how this can be done?

syncronetchris
Occasional Contributor

Update.

Is Fedora 15 x86_64 compatible with ML110 G7 (specs below)

Processor & Chipset
Number of Processors Supported:

Number of Processors Installed:

Processor Manufacturer:

Intel

Processor Type:

Xeon

Processor Model:

E3-1240

Processor Core:

Quad-core

Processor Speed:

3.30 GHz

Cache:

8 MB

Bus Speed:

Not Applicable

HyperTransport Speed:

Not Applicable

QuickPath Interconnect:

Not Applicable

Direct Media Interface:

5 GT/s

64-bit Processing:

Yes

Hyper-Threading:

Yes

Chipset Manufacturer:

Intel

Chipset Model:

C200

I believe it is,but could do with confirmation from others.

Thanks,
Chris