3500 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

File System Full

JUAN_91
Occasional Advisor

File System Full

/dev/vg00/lvol17 294912 294912 0 100% /tom

du shows no file problem. Only slow down after server (RP3440) reboot. It seems some proc is seizing resources. How to deal with it?
TIA&R,
Juan.
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: File System Full

You first need to run fuser (or better lsof if you have installed it) on /tom to see what processes have any files open on that filesystem. If a process has a file open, you can rm the file and the space is not actually freed until the process closes the file or the process terminates.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

what application do you run on /tom file system?? if it is special app see guide for shutdown step.
on behaft of OS only, you can kill all user connect to /tom file system by
#fuser -ku /tom
HTH
tienna
HP is simple
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Juan,

You need to run the lsof command on the /tom filesystem to figure out what applications or processes have zero link files open (NLINKS=0). e.g.

# lsof +aL1 /tom

From the output of the above command determine what processes have open files on that filesystem and recycle them (shutdown/startup) gracefully. Don't do a "kill -9" on those process ids otherwise you'll still run into the same problem.

regards...
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Tom --

You can also run a quick check to see what is eating cpu.

I use:

ps -ef | cut -c48-80 | sort -nr | head

This sorts the top 10 CPU % users on the system.

Run it. Wait a few seconds and run it again .. do this four or five times and you will often see a process that is causing you issues.

Best regards,

Oz
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

if you have glance installed on your server, run it and watch the process list to see what is constantly staying on top. If this is a process which the server is acquired for, i.e. not some nuisance utility, you man need to contact the vendor of this application to trace back why it is chomping down the server resources. Otherwise, i.e., if this is some daemon that is eating your cpu(s) alive, and it is not critical, try stopping it nicely (not kill -9)
even though it is not the best tool, in case you do not have glance, top can generate somewhat similar output.

Also, slowness may have been caused by some process trying to write to this 100% full /tom filesystem continuously. fuser and lsof (if you have it installed) are your best friends to determine what process is accessing which files.

Good luck.