Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Version of Redhat

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Finding Version of Redhat

I have about 4 Linux Boxes and some have different versions of RedHat. Can anybody tell me a command or something that i can type in to see what version is on a particular Redhat Box? I'd like to try not to have to reboot. Thanks Alot in advance!!!

Kyle Harris
8 REPLIES
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Re: Finding Version of Redhat

Kyle,
If you are looking for kernel version then check with uname -r.
If for RH releases then use cat /etc/issue. If my memory is correct, then in most of the Releases it gives the release.

HTH,
Umapathy

Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
jbjbjb
Advisor

One method is:
on the command line:
grep running /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid
jbjbjb
Advisor

Also look at /etc/redhat-release.
John
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Umapathy-
i got this back with the uname -r :
2.2.22-6.2.3

Does this mean i have Redhate 6.2? i'm not sure what the 2.2.22 or the .3 after 6.2 is for?.... Thanks
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

John,
The directorys were not found when i tried your methods. Thanks.

Kyle
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Kyle,

2.2.22-6.2.3 is your kernel release

Redhat adds its own kernel release on top of official releases, you run kernel 2.2.22, and redhat release of this kernel is numbered 6.2.3...

cat /etc/redhat-release works if you are root on the system.

.../rhn/systemid works if you use rhn...

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys, That worked. Didn't know you had to be root to do that command. Appreciate it greatly!

Kyle Harris
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

You don't. The 'redhat-release' file usually has permissions of root:root, 0644 (i.e. readable by everybody, only writable by root).
One long-haired git at your service...