5853 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

For fun: how to play a DVD ?

Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

For fun: how to play a DVD ?

Hi all,

As you see, we're planning some serious work for Christmas period.
:-))

We have a few brand new L2000 waiting for new disks. Instead of having them switched on just for peanuts, we would like to take advantage of the DVD-ROM to watch some video on the workstations.
Is there any software (DVD player) that could be used on these platforms ?

Merry Christmas to all

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
11 REPLIES 11
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

Re: For fun: how to play a DVD ?

I'm affaid not.

Currently HP-UX doesn't even support the UDF filesystem. Then of course you'd have to have licensed code to get passed the css encryption.
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

That's what I was guessing. I didn't assign 10 points because I didn't want the 'magic rabbit' to appear yet.
My co-workers are still hoping that a real magic answer will show up. :?(

Thanks for your reply,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan

Just an untested idea how about using Samba to mount the DVD on a PC and use DVD software on the pc.

Paula

If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Paula,

Worth a try ! Thanks.

Dan
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

The samba option can be difficult. You can disassemble the DVD-drive and put 'em in a PC with a scsi card.

good luck.
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

I made up my mind, we'll play DVD's on our laptops ;-)
Thanks for your suggestions, but Andy gave me the most appropriate answer: "forget about it!"

Dan
Paul Frederiksen
Frequent Advisor

You could always use deCSS to get past the css decryption. It would be a "bad thing" for me to link you to a copy, but if you check out google.com or slashdot.org I am sure you would be able to come acros it. Only thing you need to get by is the filesystem. :)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

BTW, I recently saw a utility that plays dvd and converts the o/p to ascii text.. 80x21 screen.. great for a console screensaver!

Does anyone know where to get this from?
I forgot to ask...

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Along this line .
I have alway wondered why HP puts DVDs players in their HP Boxes if you cant play DVDs.

Richard