4379 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Forte Application Environment. Oracle 7.3.4 Client. ORA-12154

Diego Martinez
Occasional Advisor

Forte Application Environment. Oracle 7.3.4 Client. ORA-12154

Hi,

I'm installing "Forte Application Environment 3.0" against Oracle 8.1.7 Database using Oracle 7.3.4 Client (Oracle 7.3.4 Client is in the specifications).

When i connect the engine I have next error "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name".

tnsping (v.7.3.4) works ok and connect to the database, so tnsnames.ora is ok (i think so)

I've a workarround used in other systems, it's to deinstall PHCO_24148 patch (libc acumulative patch HPUX 11.0).

I'm installing a new system HPUX 11.0 64bits with September 2002 Patch bundle and when I deinstall this patch i can't login with the machine because dependencies, so i have to install the patch again.

Anything about this error?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Re: Forte Application Environment. Oracle 7.3.4 Client. ORA-12154

1) Where is the "Forte" Application is this on same server ?

2) TNSPING is one thing , have you tried SQLPLUS ? Are you sure of the location of the tnsnames.ora ?

JL
fiat lux
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

ora-12154 is a error which is due to the improper tnsnames.ora file connection to the database.

Please post your tnsnames.ora file.

Fast
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

1. check if you can connect using sqlplus

2. Check for the NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN parameter in the SQLNET.ORA file. If one exist, then the service_names entries in your TNSNAMES.ORA file must have the NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN extension.

If problem persists, enable tracing in the SQLNET.ORA file:
trace_level_client=16

Try connecting with tracing enabled to generate a trace file. Review the trace file. Towards the end of the trace file, the service_name is being translated for resolution. See if this is the location and what is expected.

I had a similar problem some times agao. It was a sqlnet.ora setting. I had names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) instead of names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES)

hope this helps!
Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Diego Martinez
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Forte Application is on the same machine, sqlplus runs ok, i can connect with the database using sqlplus included in the Oracle 7.3.4 client.

I send you my tnsnames.ora.
I'm trying to connect to SPS.WORLD database.

I can connect using next command:

sqlplus user/password@SPS.WORLD

Thanks,
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

SPS =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= 172.16.4.24)
(Port= 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SPS))
)

SGG =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= 172.16.4.24)
(Port= 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SGG))
)

Remove the .WORLD from the tnsnames.ora file and now check connecting it.

Revert!!fast!!!