New Discussion юеВ

Frecovery question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

Frecovery question

Hello,

If I use fbackup to backup, how can I read what I just backed up without actually writing anything on the disk. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Frecovery question

Hi:

Simple, do the frecover just as you would for real but add the -N flag. This does everything EXCEPT write to disk.

Man frecover for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Sanman,

Try this,

frecover -xNv -f /dev/rmt/0m

This will print the info to the screen,

Use "man frecovery" for more info. you should use the "-N" option to view the backup without attempting an actual restore.

Hope this helps.

Regds
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Use this:

frecover -Nv -f devicepath

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

and you might want to pipe it to more or send the listing to a file.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try this:

# frecover -xN -f /dev/rmt/0m

'-N' will list you the backed up data ! see man frecover

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Using 'frecover' there are two ways. The "quick" method is to use the '-I' option which simply reads the index on the tape. This may not be totally accurate since the index is built and written by 'fbackup' *before* files are actually copied.

The better option is to use the '-N' and '-v' options together to actually read the tape and list its contents, but *not* (-N) perform an actual recovery.

# frecover -N -v -f /dev/rmt/0m > /tmp/myindex

Regards!

...JRF...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have a look at the '-N' option to frecover.

# frecvoer -Nv -f /dev/rmt/?m

Should read the whole tape, NOT restore anything and but give you output on the screen of all the files.

-v Normally frecover works silently. Verbose option. Displays the file type and name of each file processed.

-N (no recovery) Prevent frecover from actually recovering any files onto disk, but read the backup as if it was, in fact, recovering the data from the backup, producing the same output that it would on a normal recovery. This option is useful for verifying backup media contents in terms of validity (block checksum errors are reported), and contents (a listing of files can be produced by using the -N and -v options together). Note that the listing of files produced with the -N and -v options requires the reading of the entire backup, but is therefore a more accurate reflection of the backup's contents than the index stored at the beginning of the backup (which was created at the start of the backup session, and is not changed during the course of the backup).