1752802 Members
5554 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Free (or cheap) software to send pager messages - HPUX 10.20

Francisco Mancardi_1
Frequent Advisor

Free (or cheap) software to send pager messages - HPUX 10.20

I'm need to send messages to pagers, and I would like to know what software to use.
I have tried QuickPage (www.qpage.org), but
without luck.

Any suggestion ?

Best Regards

Francisco mancardi
12 REPLIES 12
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Free (or cheap) software to send pager messages - HPUX 10.20

Hi,

I simply use sendmail. My paging service will accept text messages so that it is nothing more
complicated than:

echo "This is a test" | elm -s "Test Page" 9001234@pagemci.com

The other thing to consider is that you network is down but you still need to receive pages. My approach to this is to talk directly to a modem on a serial port and echo numeric codes to simulate a dailback number for the pager. I have specific codes for specific failures. Anything beginning with '9' is very bad.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

If you have sendmail running and Pager(TEXT), your pager company should allow you to forward the mails and it will be very simple like
echo "Write you short description" | mailx -s "Subject" 123457@pagerdomain.com

Thanks
Zafar
Win/Win
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

My pager system works the same as Clay's. I send simple pager messages to myself like this:

# mailx -s "hello JRF!" xxx@yyy.com < dev/null > /dev/null

...JRF...
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

If you do not have any firewall issues to go out from HP box, you can use sendmail/mailx utility.
I use
mailx -s "message to send" 1234567@skytel.com

Thanks.
Prashant Deshpande.
Take it as it comes.
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

I hate to keep saying what everyone else is saying, but I agree. We recently upgraded our old pagers to newer text pagers that accept email. If you have a contract with a paging company you can often upgrade for no cost. We didn't have to pay anything. If I remember correctly, the monthly cost was even the same.

In this day and age, it is simply the easiest solution. It is also good because you don't have to worry about maintaining software running on your system. I just put in my scripts:

PAGELIST="1231234567@epage.arch.com root"
echo "Error #12345" | mailx -s "System Error" $PAGELIST

Best of luck,

Jared
someone_4
Honored Contributor

If you want to send messages to more then one pager or cell phone. Set up a user say pagers and on your email rule make it out to
pagers@localhost
and set up a .forward file in /home/pagers
in the .forward file with permissions of 755 and set up all the emails that you want that message to go to.
thisuser@thisphone.come
thatuser@hotmail.com

that will forward any mails to the user pagers to the emails in your .forward file.
Also make sure you can relay and do nslookups to the outside world or you will need some kind of mail relay.

Richard
Francisco Mancardi_1
Frequent Advisor

In my question is a missing detail.
My customer wants PAGING AVOIDING EMAIL i.e. connection via a modem to the pager provider's server talking TAP. (if the core switch dies how I will reach the
Internet ??)

Thanks

Francisco

Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

I found this kermit script (see attached file)by F. da Cruz and C. Gianone, Columbia University, to drive a modem to send a text page.
I have not used it myself, but maybe you can make use of it.

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

Here's a link to a script by Kofi Arthiabah that generates a page to a numeric pager. Perhaps you will find this useful:

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xeff06c96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Kofi has an attachement in one of the responses in this thread.

Regards!

...JRF...