4572 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Free (or cheap) software to send pager messages - HPUX 10.20

Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Re: Free (or cheap) software to send pager messages - HPUX 10.20

Hi,

We use a system for sending TAP protocol messages to our services provide (Pageone) although we use Linux boxes - which I know isn't what you asked. However, we use linux servers because there a very effective way of using old kit. We have 2 desktop PC each with 2 modems that handle over 800 pagers and sms recipiants.

The reason I mention it is that you can get all of the software required from the HPUX porting archives. If you interested I'll get you the name of the sms suit, although you should bear in mind that this is NOT and off the shelf type soloution, and takes time to configure both the server and client(s).

Regards,

-ChaZ-
Chris Calabrese
Valued Contributor

Another choice if you don't want to deal with modems and your paging service doesn't support pin@paging-service.com may be to use SNPP, which is sort of like TAP for the Internet, but with simpler commands.

I cobbled up a script that uses a telnet co-process to talk to an SNPP server in ksh. Unfortunately, I can't share this script, but it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to write your own. Especially if done in perl (not many folks know about the ksh co-process stuff).

See, for example, the information at http://www.skytel.com/partners/dev_resources_snpp.htm
Brainbench MVP for Unix Administration and Internet Security, SANS Review Editor, and Center for Internet Security HP-UX Benchmark project leader
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Francisco,

I do not know wether you have a GSM cellular phone
network in Argentina, but if then you might just send
an email (like the others do) but send it to your mobile
phone network provider's SMS gateway (Short Message
Service). Work pretty good for me...

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch