1752810 Members
5593 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Freezing

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

I suspect that if your existing BIOS is version 1.xx, you cannot install any version 2.xx. Sorry I can't say definitively. I don't have that information.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Not applicable

Hello . I have seen this a few times .It is the bios has gone bad and thus makes the system not want to run like if your transmistion in your car is going out you can drive but you notice it when you take off or stop.
The solution would be to find a bios update to that motherboard but sometimes the bios chip goes bad and on a few repairs I have seen the circut in the end where the mouse plugs into go bad. but since you have changed the mouse I would say it is the Bios.
I have ran across the bios error before and tried installing the update and geting the same error.
You need to check the bios info in the setup by pressing the F1 key and seeing if it says anything about enableing and disableing the flashing .
Some motherboards are not built to be upgraded since this was made when windows 98 was out I am thinking your Motherboard doesn't have the capability of being flashed.
I might be wrong becasuse I don't have your model of mother board .
LIst the model here and the bios version if possible.
Hope this helps some?
Alex
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Sayee ;

Update us on your progress.

I think you should go back to the dealer, and summarize that everything that has been tried, but nothing has been able to fix the freeze problem.

Nicely ask that the motherboard be replaced. Mention that hp staff and PC systems engineers have been helping you and show him the HP forum. Weeks of effort.....

Alot of smoke and nothing to show for it.

After getting the new motherboard, try a clean install of Win XP Pro to finish.

Good luck,
Jim

Pedro Pinto_2
Advisor

BIOS and driver updates are not going to solve your issue. Installing WindowsXP on such a low resource unit it something unthinkable. WindowsXP run at minimum performance in a 1G 256ram 20GB 32MG graphic card system. Any other bellow than this cannot be working with windowsXP. The best thing you can do his a system upgrade of some parts, other than that i wouldn't advanture more than Win98SE on this unit. If it freezes then the best way to know if it is a software or hardware issue is to enter BIOS setup and leave unit untouched for some hours, if it freezes then it is definitly a hardware issue, if not the issue may be related with the software, check the programs that you have installed, maybe some of them can cause this conflict. The best way to check if this issue is related to a specific program it to reinstall OS using HP recovery CDs, update all the system drivers and, without installing any extra software than the one that goes along with the OS see if it freezes. It so then, again, it is a hardware issue. If one install the normal programs that you use one at a time, move around with unit to see when it starts hanging.

Please test these solution and update has soon has possible.

Best regards

Pedro Pinto
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Here are the actual hardware requirements for WINXP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Pedro Pinto_2
Advisor

Do you really believe what is said on this web page? I have windowsXP installed on a p500 with 256 with 16MB graphic card and it works at a minimum acceptance speed, still it is very slow if several programs are running at the same time, i.e, more than three IE windows openned at a time may cause system failures. Microsoft only wants to sell, try contacting them for help, they will say two things, either the windowsXP is an OEM version or it is a hardware issue, never a microsoft windows issue.

Best regards

Pedro Pinto
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Sayee:

What is the capacity of your boot hard disk drive? How much free space exists? Have you tried removing the paging file from the boot disk (C:) and putting one on your 80GB drive (D:?). Make it twice the size of your system memory for now. See this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417&Product=winxp

To force your computer to stop and display the error message when an error occurs, perform the steps in the following article under MORE INFORMATION (DO NOT PROCEED BEYOND STEP 3. UNDER THE FIRST PARAGRAPH):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311806&Product=winxp

Now, if your computer stops with a blue-screen error message, please post it here.

Thanks.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

Firstly I am sorry for the delay in replying.

Does anyone found solution to my problem?.

My computer some times even hangs when a new OS is being installed.
SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

I am desperately looking for the help.

Any useful help is much appreciated.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

So you never got a replacement motherboard......ummmmm

Looks like bad hardware no patching can fix.

Jim,