7527 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Full database imort issue !!

Chris Fung
Frequent Advisor

Full database imort issue !!

Hi there,

Just wondering if I run a full database import against a database, will the user account password be overwritten in the target database ?

I am currently using Oracle 8.1.7.

Test shows me that the existing user account and password in the target database remains the same. I think this issue may affect if the import job is for a disaster recovery situation.

Any comments ??

Cheers,

Chris,
3 REPLIES 3
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Chris,

I'm not sure what you are looking for. The IMP_FULL_DATABASE role has the BECOME USER privilege, which lets it create objects as another user. There isn't any real knowlege of the password in the import dump file, just the encoded value of the password that can be loaded into Oracle directly.

Provided that the user exists on the database (or can be created with the import), then the objects should be created, provided that tablespaces exist with sufficient space.

Thanks,

Brian
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

Performing a FULL Export will export the entire database. Performing a FULL import will import everything in the export dump file.

A full import will create any undefined tablespaces using the same datafile names as the exported database.

If you have a target database, and the users, datafiles, tablespaces are pre-created, import will not change the user passwords in the target database.

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
Emilio Brusa
Frequent Advisor

Indira,in imp full=y if your you have one user created in base target with the same username of the user of the base origin the password of the base target be overwritten, because you are importing the data dictyonary too.
IF the user didn't exist in the base origin there won't be changes.

Chirs,
If the users of the base origin for the disaster recovery didn't exist in the destination, I don't see problem, if for the opposite they already existed you have to fight with the integrity of your data.

greetings
E.