Operating System - Linux
1748261 Members
3657 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GNOME not shutting down properly

Satish Kumar_2

GNOME not shutting down properly

I am a newbie to linux and love to learn it. When I startx and get into GNOME and want to exit GNOME, the screen freezes once I logout of GNOME session. Earlier it was working fine, but suddenly it started hanging. I cant do anything and have to switch off the system and restart. I just see a blue screen with nothing on it. But KDE works fine while logging out.

Is there any logs where i can see what went wrong? Or can I get a direct solution for this
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Re: GNOME not shutting down properly

Check the file .xsession-errors is your home directory.

Also, if you get hung, try using the control-alt-backspace key combination. This will kill your X server and drop you to a command prompt. It's easier than rebooting the machine.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

You can also hit Ctrl+
JAlt+F2 to turn to shell, and run ps-aux to see among the last lines what process is still on...
HTH
You can lean only on what resists you...
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

check /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree86* for more error details.

ctrl+alt+f1 in redhat will give you the console. use 'top' and see where the process stands.

HTH

Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
Satish Kumar_2

Hi all,
Thanks for all your feedback. I got some info on where to check on problem. Last time when I treid the system worked perfectly and didnt hang. Really dont know why. But the log file .xsession-errors has a few lines saying, the xscreensaver could not lauch because I was logged in as root. Could this have caused the problem. I will use your other suggestion of key combinations, if i come across this error again. Thanks once again
Satish
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Dont login as root unless you need to do super user work. Login as a normal user and su to root whenever needed.

XScreensaver is disabled for root since there is every possibility for a trojan horse coming in ur way and the worst nightmare will be running them as root.

HTH
Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!