Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNOME not shutting down properly

Satish Kumar_2
Occasional Visitor

GNOME not shutting down properly

I am a newbie to linux and love to learn it. When I startx and get into GNOME and want to exit GNOME, the screen freezes once I logout of GNOME session. Earlier it was working fine, but suddenly it started hanging. I cant do anything and have to switch off the system and restart. I just see a blue screen with nothing on it. But KDE works fine while logging out.

Is there any logs where i can see what went wrong? Or can I get a direct solution for this
5 REPLIES
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Re: GNOME not shutting down properly

Check the file .xsession-errors is your home directory.

Also, if you get hung, try using the control-alt-backspace key combination. This will kill your X server and drop you to a command prompt. It's easier than rebooting the machine.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

You can also hit Ctrl+
JAlt+F2 to turn to shell, and run ps-aux to see among the last lines what process is still on...
HTH
You can lean only on what resists you...
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

check /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree86* for more error details.

ctrl+alt+f1 in redhat will give you the console. use 'top' and see where the process stands.

HTH

Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
Satish Kumar_2
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,
Thanks for all your feedback. I got some info on where to check on problem. Last time when I treid the system worked perfectly and didnt hang. Really dont know why. But the log file .xsession-errors has a few lines saying, the xscreensaver could not lauch because I was logged in as root. Could this have caused the problem. I will use your other suggestion of key combinations, if i come across this error again. Thanks once again
Satish
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Dont login as root unless you need to do super user work. Login as a normal user and su to root whenever needed.

XScreensaver is disabled for root since there is every possibility for a trojan horse coming in ur way and the worst nightmare will be running them as root.

HTH
Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!