1752705 Members
6192 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gateway 566

Paula McCoy

Gateway 566

Hi There, Anyone out there who can help me? I'm new to this site, and to messing up my computer "Royally" I crashed it "on PURPOSE" thinking I could just bring it back up with my Windows 98se disk....Not a smoothe move for the rest of y'all newbies. Now it's thinking there's no harddrive at all, what can I do, I went to a computer guy and he said it would not be necessary to buy a new one. It could be Re-Done. To bring it to him and he'd do it, but I really want to do it myself, I just need a little guidence. I've tried everything and all of the commands I could think of. Please HELP me, oh yeah, it doesn't have a help file either.
Thank you very much, PJMcCoy
2 REPLIES 2
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: Gateway 566

I guess this is a wrong forum..
Insert your 98 bootable cd in cdrom and boot the pc from it.If the pc doesn't boot from it -you must enter to the bios setup and configure it from there
Choose the option to setup Windows and follow the steps on screen....When you'll get to specific screen and you won't know how to continiue -let us know...
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: Gateway 566

Hi,
I'm not sure about what happened... my guess is that you installed Linux, messed the install, and tried to boot back from a good old win98 install... Correct ?
Well, if so, bad news is that win98 doesn't understand (nor see) ext 3 linux partition, so you get the error message.
What to do : boot from your linux CD 1, and on prompt type 'linux rescue' instead of just 'enter' to go to the install process. Then type ok all the time up to the shell (which is '#_'). Then type :
fdisk /dev/hda (supposing your install is on first ide disk).
p to print your partitions
Then 'd' to delete each partition, starting from the last (i.e. from 5 to one for instance, and not from 1 tpo 5).
Then 'n' to create a partition, type is primary 'p', let your system assign the size (full disk space) or choose by yourself if you want a dual install win / linux.
Then 't' to change paritition type, partition number is '1', type is 'c' (fat 32).
Then 'w' to write the whole stuff to your disk MBR.
You can reboot from your win 98 install CD, it should see your disk now...

Let us know if something doesn't work the way you wish, try to describe precisely error messages...

Tks to assign points if useful... :]

J
You can lean only on what resists you...