Operating System - Linux
1753797 Members
7898 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gentoo Linux & ProLiant DL380 G4

Jaakko Kujala

Gentoo Linux & ProLiant DL380 G4

I'm having trouble installing Gentoo on a ProLiant DL380 G4.

Everything goes smoothly until the point where I'd like to update my portage tree (package management for gentoo). It seems that every process that needs a lot of cpu/mem/disk usage fails. For example, the portage update hangs when it counts the files that need to be updated, also when I try to update my kernel, recomiple glibc or anything a bit more demanding, the server freezes.

When the freeze does happen, the cursor on the screen blinks but nothing responds (even CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing) and all the services die as well. I've configured my system logger to log to console so I could debug what goes wrong, sadly no logs are created during the crash.

So the question is, has anyone succesfully installed Gentoo Linux or any other distro with a 2.6-kernel on a ProLiant DL380 G4?

(I think this could have something to do with the built-in cciss-module on the 2.6-kernel.)
7 REPLIES 7
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Jaakko:

Have you updated the bios on the server? There are some known problems fixed with the microcode that can cuase the server to lockup / panic under heavy loads:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22313.html

hope this helps. -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Jaakko Kujala

I updated the bios with this file :
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22290.html

Updating went smoothly but didn't fix any issues. Immediatly after applying the update, I restarted the server and tried to recompile my kernel -> the same freeze as before.

Does anyone know if there are known issues with 2.6-kernels or could this be a hardware problem?
Jaakko Kujala

Btw, how can I identify the model of the Smart Array 6i-controller on the server?
I was thinking I'd try to update the firmware of the RAID-controller as well but I can't tell if the model is 641/642 or 6400 (I'm guessing 6400 cause lspci shows 64xx, but I'd like to be sure).
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

The DL380 G4 server has an integrated 6i controller. If you added a SmartArray Controller to the server, it would be installed in the PCI riser cage. You can see what controllers are installed in the server at POST. Each controller has a boot init showing what logical drives are attached. You can also use the RBSU to identify the installed controllers and PCI devices.

To note... HP (that I know of) has not released a 2.6 package that you can use. You may find a CCISS that someone has ported to 2.6 that will work for you from Gentoo.org or other linux forums.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

DL380G4 is certified for SLEL9 [kernel 2.6], so it's not kernel 2.6 issue.
Jaakko Kujala

I first thought that the "Smart Array 6i" is just a general name for the controller and 6400 or 641/642 is the more exact model. But the exact name seems to be 6i.

So yes, it is the integrated controller, no addon-cards are present.

The CCISS-module on the 2.6.10-kernel supports the 6i-controller (at least it's listed on the readme).

So I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that there's some kind of a hardware problem on the server because the server "works" as long as I don't do anything that requires a bit more CPU/mem/disk -usage.
Jaakko Kujala

It turned out that the motherboard was broken.
Got a replacement today and now everything's running smoothly.
Gentoo Linux with 2.6.10-kernel, no additional drivers needed.