1752344 Members
5923 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Giving up: Looking to hire someone to setup Linux printing

Brad Ummer
Occasional Contributor

Giving up: Looking to hire someone to setup Linux printing

I've been trying for over a week now to get our remote Linux server to print to our LaserJet 5N. (Please see my post on 10/24 "Trying to print from RedHat Linux to remote LaserJet 5N".) I've gotten it to print, but very slowly (90-120 seconds for a 10K postscript file). This same file printed from a Windows box takes less than 5 seconds. I have to assume that there is something not set up correctly. Can anyone recommend a company or freelance individual who could set this up for us? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I've found something interesting on an Linux mailing list archive. See this link:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/9711.1/0059.html

Ah, and as I am writing, some pros and cons about LJ5Ns (see the whole thread):

http://kalamazoolinux.org/mailarchive/0105/msg00165.html

By the way, those links I've found issuing a search on Google with 'Laserjet 5N Linux'

My opinion, try again before paying someone to do it.

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Don't give up. Let's dig together.

bkp (eugen):~/mizerii>ls -la *.ps
-rw-r--r-- 1 eugen wheel 340915 Oct 24 12:24 enterprise1200_spec.ps
bkp (eugen):~/mizerii>time lpr enterprise1200_spec.ps

real 0m0.153s
user 0m0.010s
sys 0m0.000s
bkp (eugen):~/mizerii>

So, it seems that it only takes a split of a second to send a 300k ps to the queue and it took about 10 seconds to print it (physically) on our OLD and much-worked HP LaserJet 4Si printer.

See attached file for details. Anything else, just ask. Hope I can help.

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Brad Ummer
Occasional Contributor

Eugen-

Thanks for the kind offer and the breakdown of all your conf files. Let me start by saying that while I've been working with server end of linux for a few years, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to setting it up. I can edit config and other files pretty well, but I lack some of the basic knowledge of how everything on the system is interacting. I had a local company set a new server box for me and install Red Hat 7.1 (which was done by the company's one-and-only linux guy). When he was unable to get the printing stuff working without the long delays, I turned to these lists. Based on info I got here, I subsequently had him install CUPS. (Was this a good move??) I had read and begun to understand a good bit about lpr, but now that CUPS is installed, I'm back to near-zero knowledge about how this beast is printing. For example, with the current setup, my /etc/conf file is completely empty. Is this supposed to be like this? I have no idea. I wouldn't even know if he messed up the installation. Hence my frustration.

Add to that the fact that the printer in question is located about an hour's drive from me in a busy office, and the office staff get quite annoyed when I tie up their printer for 2 minutes at a time (during which time they can't print). Plus after I attempt the print, I need to call them up and have someone go and check to see if anything printed. And every once in a while what prints out is 50 plus pages of postscript junk (they just love that).

My fear is that I'm going to spend the next month beating my head against a wall when a pro could have took one look at the system and said, "Here, just uncomment this line...". None the less, I thank you for you offer to help. I've posted requests for freelancers on a bunch of different sites, and to every techie I knew, yet didn't get a single response. So it looks like it's time to roll up my sleeves and try again.

On that note, do you think that installing CUPS was a good idea, do you know anything about it, and should by /etc/conf file really be empty?
Brad Ummer
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I meant that my /etc/printcap file is empty...