1748255 Members
3772 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Goin from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 in HPUX11

Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

Goin from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 in HPUX11

So yeah, my company needs me to upgrade our database from oracle 8.0.5 to 8.1.7, on an HPUX11 machine. Will most of out current PRO C scripts work with the upgrade? How drastically will the output be erred? Right now I'm merely researching and trying to document the changes that took place from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7, but im still not actually sure what will be affected, if at all. Any response would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris Calabrese
gumby@eclipse.net
"if we could share this again, i'd never have to say it. but even good intentions fail." - www.foralltimeva.com
4 REPLIES 4
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Re: Goin from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 in HPUX11

Hi Chris,

disk space and kernel parameters will be issues to cope with:
- 8.1.7 needs close to 2GB for the ORACLE_HOME
- 8.1.7 cannot be re-linked with a default kernel: MAXDSIZ and others have to be increased first

If you run the new version with "compatible = 8.0.5" you should not see a big difference, application-wise...

FWIW,
Wodisch
Shirish Joshi
Advisor

Hi Chris,
You can expect the following changes

1. Makefiles -- the names of libraries have changed. If not library names, the '.o' files have moved to another library.
2. Atleast 1 "fetch across commit" error.
3. Initialization parameters
4. Header files renamed
5. May encounter ORA-01722
6. some new bugs :-)

--Shirish
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the responses! how should i go about fixing some of these changes. i'll assume the library names are in the documentation and such, but what about the other errors im gonna get? how should i go about rectifying them?
"if we could share this again, i'd never have to say it. but even good intentions fail." - www.foralltimeva.com
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure if this is an Oracle thing or SAP. When we upgraded our SAP servers to 8.1.7... the path for ORACLE_HOME changed. It's something like /oracle/817_64 ( I can't get to a server right now). So if you have any hard coded paths in any scripts you might need to make some adjustments.