108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Going from oracle 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 in HPUX11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

Going from oracle 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 in HPUX11

So yeah, my company needs me to upgrade our database from oracle 8.0.5 to 8.1.7, on an HPUX11 machine. Will most of out current PRO C scripts work with the upgrade? How drastically will the output be erred? Right now I'm merely researching and trying to document the changes that took place from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7, but im still not actually sure what will be affected, if at all. Any response would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris Calabrese
gumby@eclipse.net

"if we could share this again, i'd never have to say it. but even good intentions fail." - www.foralltimeva.com
8 REPLIES 8
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

THe data conversion can be done in place so no export/import is needed. None of my Pro/C had to change between 8.0.x and 8.1.x.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

alright thanks. will my sql scripts need to be changed? or will those stay consistent as well?

chris
"if we could share this again, i'd never have to say it. but even good intentions fail." - www.foralltimeva.com
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Chris:

I can't say for certain in your case but I can say that even my 7.3 SQL scripts ran without change but I tend to be very conservative in writing SQL scripts and avoid as much as possible non-standard syntax and functions. Your stored procedures should continue to work as well.
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks so much for your help. i'll post again if i have any questions. have a great day!

chris
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

i have a followup question...
i was just informed that, current we're running HPUX9 on the server, and that is being upgraded to HPUX11 (at the same time as Oracle 8.0.5 is going to 8.1.7). Will the change in HPUX versions affect any of my Pro*C scripts?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I was not aware that there was an Oracle 8.0.x port for HP-UX 9.x. I suspect that you are running Oracle 6 or Oracle 7 on something that old. The first thing that I would look for is any code that references ROWID's. These did change. For the most part, I think your ProC source will port without any other serious problems.
Chris Calabrese_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the quick reply! so yeah, i just had this clarified: The server was already upgraded from HPUX9 to HPUX11, and the scripts were transferred. They tested the ProC scripts and everything worked so they didnt recompile. But when we upgrade to 8.1.7, everything's gonna get recompiled. I'm going to guess this shouldnt cause a problem, but I'm not sure. any thoughts?

chris
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It sounds like you are okay but I would still do a grep -i "ROWID" on all your ProC source code. The ROWID format did not change from 8.0.x to 8.1.x but it did change from 7.x to 8.x. That would be my only concern.