Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good guidelines for selecting swap space?

Good guidelines for selecting swap space?

8 REPLIES
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

Re: Good guidelines for selecting swap space?

Dan,

depends - how much memory do you have?

If you have a lot, then you probably want to investigate pseudo-swap (kernel parm) allows you to fool the system into thinking you have swap space for use, because if you have a lot of memory, then you shouldn't be swapping.

If you don't have a lot of memory, then you probably should go with the standard 2x memory.

tx,
C
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi ,

If you got a production server with heavy transactions, then swap space would be 3 or 4 times the physical memory.

have a look at :

Essential System Administration.
O'Reilly
By Aeleen Frisch
Second edition
Page 315 and up.

I'm trying to develop guidelines that would cover many servers w/ many configs.

I really want to know where I can find the most indept explanation of swap (book or online)

Thanks,
Dan
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again,

When I upgrade to hp-ux 11.0, I did also a HW changes from K420 to L2000 class server.

I noticed that, for heavy oracle OLTP process, not enough space error messages are comming on all production systems ( 6 different production servers ).
The issue is, while some process is doing I/O, the schedular is putting them into swap and it try to electe other ones to fill into memory to be executed , but when there is a competition and the cpu speed is high then swap will not follow the semand for putting process lookuin for more I/Os. that's why by increasing the swap space by four times the physical mem, this problem had disappeared.

HTH.

Magdi
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dan:

You might start here ("Managing Swap and Dump"):

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90742/B2355-90742.html

...JRF...
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan

I agree with all others but the good place to start is to do it. Actually the swap is determind with the physical ram that is defined in the system . Genreally for systems mid range ones with RAm ranign form 4gb to 8-10 GB , it is better to have swap betwwnn 1-2 times the size of RAM and more the Physical the lesser the swap required . SO start with the same size ( I beleive you would be using 4-10GB RAM size ) and then go to tune using tools to display swapinfo etc .

Manoj Srivastava
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

Check out the memory management white paper on the system: /usr/share/doc/mem_mgt.txt. This
explains in detail how swap is used in HP-UX.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.