Operating System - Linux
1748338 Members
4684 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP!!! Got trouble in installing Redhat 6.1 on Netserver E60

Eddiefan

HELP!!! Got trouble in installing Redhat 6.1 on Netserver E60

I'm trying to install redhat 6.1 on Netserver E60(one PIII 550,64M memory, 9.1G SCSI HD), from the beginning to starting install package, everthing seems to be ok, but during the installation of package(I selected to install Web server&FTP server and utilities, i didn't select X-window), the server always stopped there,no error message,no response.I tried several times, always got the same result.I've changed different SCSI harddisk,and even tried RedHat 6.2,but still failed,I don't know what's going on, please give me some advice, thank you very much!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Marc Veeneman
Advisor

I never succeeded either, with 6.1. 6.2 was more successful, but I abandoned it for later incompatibilites. Caldera 2.1 worked well. Caldera 2.3 absolutely will not install. Three suggestions:

1) Use Caldera 2.4
2) don't rely on their support
3) use only D4911A or D7176A drives until you are up and running.

I have no experience with Suse since Caldera worked. A friend was able to get RedHat 7.0 to run after a couple of days of trouble and lots of WWW lookups.
Eddiefan

Thank you, Marc, I called HP support this morning,but I got nothing. Do you have experience in SlackWare? I got it today, but I still doubt if it can work on E60.I'll try tonight.
Marc Veeneman
Advisor

We are _still_ using an early Slackware release on our firewall. It has been running for many years on a 486. But in recent years we moved to the RedHat and Caldera distributions. RedHat 5.2 worked okay to support Apache on our LS 5/100, but it failed to support HP Eloquence database servers. That's when we tried Caldera with its easy-to-use installation procedure. We keep trying new RedHat releases but something terrible always goes wrong for us. We're running 5 E60s now (not counting one with a sick NIC) and they're all happy and smiling with versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.4 from Caldera. They all run HP Eloquence perfectly, our main consideration. Dual processors are fine, 1Gb memory works great, D7176A (18Gb) are just fine, even the Travan tape drives work well. But heed this warning: Internet users and forums like ITRC are your support. If you're used to HP's HP-UX support services, you'll be disappointed. Linux users have been very helpful, OS distributors much less so. And hardware people all read the same cue card: I have heard of Linux but I only know Windows.
Eddiefan

I'll try to install Slackware 7.1 tonight,if I can't install it successfully,I may keep it.I also need to install Apache,PHP4,IMAP,sendmail or qmail. I hope I'm lucky enough. I'm also thinking about your suggestions, you mentioned caldera 2.1,2.2 and 2.4, Caldera eServer 2.3 has Apache,IMAP, can I install 2.3?
Marc Veeneman
Advisor

No, OpenLinux 2.3 (eServer) will not install on the HP Netserver E60. The installation support from Caldera was worthless. They kept asking more and more questions about what components HP used to manufacture the E60. Similarly, they were no help in installing OpenLinux 2.4 (eDesktop) on the IBM ThinkPad T20. But the good news is that eDesktop installs flawlessly on the out-of-the-box E60.