1748051 Members
5165 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 10.20 to HP 11.00 upgrade

Lawrence Mahan
Frequent Advisor

HP 10.20 to HP 11.00 upgrade

I am seeing a lot of messages that state that users are not upgrading from 10.20 to 11.00 but instead thay are cold installing 11.00 and reloading their apps.

I have a major problem here. I support over 300 HP-UX machines remotely. I spent the last 3 months of 1999 upgrading all of my 9.x site to 10.20 by doing a cold install of 10.20. This was do the the problems associated with the fix partition to LVM convertions with the upgrade. This was done at considerable expence to the sites sense they where the ones who had to pay for the air fair and lodging for my staft to come to they sites and do this upgrade. How can I justify to my customer base that their are going to have to do this again?? Upgrades I can do remotely, installs I can't. What are the pitfalls that prevent the 10.20 to 11.00 upgrade?? Are there ways to overcome this pitfalls?? HELP!!
5 REPLIES 5
Lasse Knudsen
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP 10.20 to HP 11.00 upgrade

Hi there,

Cold installs are definetely to prefer over an upgrade, but you dont have to be physically present in order to do a cold install.

I've upgraded (cold installed) quite a few workstations from 10.20 to 11.00 using Ignite/UX. It takes some time to get the setup right and smooth, but when you have done this it just runs and runs ....

Have you ever considered using Ignite ?
In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Lawrence Mahan
Frequent Advisor

Ignite does not work over a modem connection.
The 300+ sites I have to maintance are world wide, not local to an inhouse network.
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

A couple of things as a suggestion ,
1. Have you a test server at base, that you can try your an upgrade on . With uppgrades you must make sure you meet the pre-requisites (i.e. the patch levels meet the requirement for the upgrade, filesystem space requirements ) so you see a fresh install may also be a good time to re-org certain filesystems as well .

2. You can set enable remote access ( ctrl B , and enable remote console mode) so your terminal can see what the console will normally see .

HTH
Seek and you shall find
Nalin Uduwawala
Advisor

I sympathise with Larry. I am new to HPUX and my question is ow difficult or painful is a cold install ? Do you lose all your mount points etc and can you later do a vgimport etc ? Or Does one have to load from tapes ?

Each of our disks are separate volumes and some of them are mirrored. Given this is there an easy way ?
Life long Learning
Lawrence Mahan
Frequent Advisor

Nalin: In answer to you question on how hard is it to reinstall the answer is it is not to hard.

You backup you applications and associated data. You backup you logins and other system control files.

You reignite.

You put it all back on.

I takes me about 12 to 18 hours to rebuild a system this way. My problems is I have 300+ systems.