108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000 Server for Informix Database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Bardell
Advisor

HP 9000 Server for Informix Database

We are currently running an older version of Informix on a K250 server, and are being pushed to upgrades to the latest release which I believe is Informix 9.2. This will require us to replace our server with a newer more powerful HP UX Server, is there anywhere I would be able to find the requirements for the server based on the database application and user levels we will be running?

I want to make sure we can get a server that will handle the load we will be putting on this server, and won't need any upgrades for at least 4-5 years.

Any information or links will be much appreciated.

Thanks ~Steve

13 REPLIES 13
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Steve,

We run Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FC4 under both 11.0 and 11i - on an N-class and an L-class respectively. Our production environment consists of about 200 users pounding away against the 4x440MHz, 8GB RAM, N-class. It runs like a champ. If I was looking for a new server today, I would be looking at the rp7410/rp7405 with 4x750MHz or 4x875MHz and 8GB RAM. That should run rings around our current setup.

Does that give you any basis for comparison?

Pete

Pete
Steve Bardell
Advisor

Pete, I couldn't have asked for a better answer. I greatly appreciate this information. I will bring this up, and hopefully this will be the leverage I need.

once again, thank you
Steve B
George_Dodds
Honored Contributor

We run a 1tb informix database quite happily from 2 L class servers with 3x 440mhz cpu's and 4gb ram.

Of course the xp array helps a bit with storage :)

Ta

George
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Steve,

Minor correction - I just noted I reported the N-class as being 4x440MHz - it's 6x440MHz. I expect we will need fewer, faster processors in the rp74xx and this could be a good thing with licensing costs being based on number of CPUs. Informix hasn't done this yet, but I'm sure they will.

Pete

Pete
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hi

In addtion to the server hardware.

Our N class is conncected to a DDS3 Tape drive that I do weekly ignite backups and daily backups of specific directories that contain users scripts. We have 2 8GB disk , one is the primary and the other is the backup mirrored using mirror-ux. Ignite is great!! It has saved my butt many of a time.

Richard
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

We run Informix 9.21 on rp7410 & rp8400. The latest version of Informix is 9.3 & I'd go that way as 9.21 have some "limitations". I do not know when 9.4 is out but it is meant to be soon.

We run OLTP database on 8x750MHz rp7400, using VA7410 as the disk-subsystem (1GB mirrored cache 30x36GB disks) & get about 10,417 transactions per minute max. Our application is the "slow point" & if the database was allowed to do it's stuff it would get about 33,750 transactions per minute. This is not too bad when you compare to tpm-c figure of 92,000 for the same server.

I'd go for the 650 or 750MHz CPUs as the 875's are not really that much betetr. 750's are about 15% better than 650's.

I dont have any tpm-c figures for k250, but about 15,000 sounds about right (k360 16400 using 4x180MHz CPUs).

The rp2470 may fit the your bill (on tpm-c) and is very cheap, but does not have many PCI slots. If you do not need many peripherals then think about this, also it has less internal bandwidth than a rp54xx. (about 1/4)

Putting this lot together, if you want similar server
o rp5470 with 2x650 CPUs does 23897 tpm-c, or 4x650 CPUs is 43292 tpm-c.
o Look at the storage, VA7410 or VA7110 are both good storage dsub-systems. or DS2300 if you do not need disk performance.
o I would go for 1-2 GB/CPU of Memory, I think the rp5470 can take up to 16GB, so LOADS of room there using the rules

Good luck

Tim

-
Steve Bardell
Advisor

Let's assume I was to go with the RP7400 with 550MHz CPU's, what would your recommendation be? This server is readily available and very cheap, I think this might be the route we go. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Steve,

I didn't catch how many CPU's of what horsepower you had in your K box, but I can guarantee you that you can get along with roughly half (Iwould prefer to go with more than half) the amount of 550MHz CPUs in an RP74xx box and still improve performance.

Pete

Pete
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

ooh suit you sir!

An excellent choice sir, it is of a fine vintage, and a good pedigree sir.

tpm-c for rp7400 with PA8600 550 MHz
8 cpus ~60,000 tpm-c
4 cpus ~34,000 tpm-c

Sir's previous K class is about 15,000 at a guess sir

May I suggest sir, that sir gets 1GB memory per cpu sir, so assuming sir chooses 4 CPUs that would be 4GB memory. To complement the memory sir, I would highly reccomend a root disk with 5GB swap+dump & /var of 6GB to be able to amply take sir's crash dumps (hopefully sir would not experience this, but better safe than sorry, sir).

May I also point out to sir the advantage of haveing more memory. Informix 9.2+ uses fuzzy checkpoints, thus the checkpoint information is greatly reduced. This gives sir the addded advantage of being able to increase Informix BUFFERS to a far higher value available in 7.3 WITHOUT causing long checkpoints. oooh suit you sir!

How about a disk subsystem sir. I suggest fibre sir VA7110 or VA7410. The 15k rpm disk offer great performance sir & the caching facilities of the VA greatly improves an already excellent performance sir. If sir woul not like to used caching how about the fibre attache JBOD system such as DS2405 sir.

I hope sir has enjoyed his browse & will come back again.

oooh suit you sir!

(If the above makes no sense then look for "fast show" on google & hit I'm feeling lucky)

Tim
-