1751956 Members
4970 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP JetDirect printer delay.

Simon Qu
Frequent Advisor

HP JetDirect printer delay.

In HP11i, we have a JetDirect printer server, printing to Okidata dot printer. Every time when we send a job, it is not printing right away, but it does print after several minutes or after I reset the Okidata and wait a while.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
We want to buy a new Jetdirect or a new okidata printer, but first I need to know which one causes the problem, Jetdirect or okidata or something else ?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: HP JetDirect printer delay.

What is Idle Timeout set to?

It might not help - but try setting it higher - say 270 (90 by default)...

Send a print job, then do a:

hpnpadmin -v QUEUENAME

where QUEUENAME is the queue name of your printer...

maybe the printer is in sleep mode, then takes a while to warm up?

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP JetDirect printer delay.

This is generally caused by data being sent to the printer but no commands to cause it to flush the output and print --- especially if this is a one-page print job or if you are waiting for the last page to print. Because a FF almost always triggers a printer flush regardless of the printer model, I would create a small test file and then 'echo "\f\c" >> mytestfile. Lp mytestfile and if that prints, you need to modify the interface file to append the appropriate character stream to the printjob.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.