Operating System - Linux
1753426 Members
5033 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Linux Suport - how does it stack up against Support UX?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Anker
Valued Contributor

HP Linux Suport - how does it stack up against Support UX?

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on HP's support of Linux once you have implemented it using RX servers?.

Are they as responsive to calls for problems as they are for the PA RISC based machines?

Are they very knowledgeable on Linux?

Do their engineers know their stuff installing it yet?

I'm trying to find out the "feet on the street" opinions before taking the plunge into the world of Linux!

Cheers
Jim
7 REPLIES 7
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I'm in the process of installing Debian Linux on a C3000 workstation. I have no illusions that I can expect support on this from HP or anyone else. I've had several issues, and I've yet to successfully build and install a kernel. But I expect to overcome all the problems and make it work in the next few days.

But then, I've been doing Unix for nearly 20 years now. My main problem is the lack of time to do all this. I suspect that, if I could devote 10-20 hours per week to my project, I'd have it up in a couple of weeks time.

I wouldn't recommend this kind of thing for anyone except experienced Unix administators. However, once the system is up and running, on-going manintenence on it should be simple.

I would like to hear back from you if you try this and get good support from HP. Perhaps I might be tempted to purchase a support contract too.

Chris
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor
Solution

It really depends on where you get your software support...

I.E. HP will sell you support, and it will be very good. Developers and help desk will both work to resolve the issues. RedHat I have had exceptional success with their paid for support.

The biggest issue currently plaguing Linux right now, is that most people dont buy support. This not only hurts reputation, but companies trying to support it and make it a more viable business alternative.

So, get your support paid for, and enjoy. Make sure you dont spend time with "JohnDoe's Random support of the week" company though. GO with a good name, that knows the business and will be there next year.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Jarle Bjorgeengen
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I work in the Norwegian ResponseCentre, and work with HP-UX and Linux customers from basic level support, up to Business Critical Support and Critical Systems Support.

HP delivers Linux Support up to Critical Systems support.

The response times for hp-ux and linux are equal for equal levels of support.

We have the same support structure for Linux as for HP-UX, with respect to Competency centres and expert-centres. For HP-UX the lab is HP-Owned, since hp-ux is HP-Product. For Linux we have close relationship with distribution vendors (RedHat and Suse in particular) Also our expert-centre has backline support from LinuxCare who can make us short term fixes for critical problems where going through the distro vendor takes too long. LinuxCare is typically used with critical problems at customers with high support level.

Most RC engineers know a bit of Linux, and if problem is not solvable the problem is escalated upwards through competency centres , expertcentres , and distro-vendors/LinuxCare.

The escalation speed depends on the contract level, just as it does for hp-ux.

If you buy Support, and servers from HP , you also get the advantage of ISEE. Instant Support Enterprise edition, which pro-actively can warn HP about potential problems with your machines before they happen, among a lot of other things. When HP is warned we take contact to schedule an preventive action. ISEE support is now availble on netservers running RedHat Linux with top tools agents installed, and will soon be available on ProLiant With management agents for linux installed.

Rgds Jarle

James Anker
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies so far guys, Shannon makes a good point on the reputation of Linux being clouded by people "having a stab" themselves without support IF they don???t know what there doing.

I am looking for more people???s experiences as well - have any of you utilised HP's new migration services from HP UX to Linux and with what success? - The HP UX & Red Hat API's are common from what I understand so it shouldn't be a major issue to port to Linux - what are your thoughts on this and what do we need to look out for when contemplating such a move?

More points are up for grabs!.

Thanks again.

Jim
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

James,

Although I have not had a chance or reason to check out what HP has to offer in this arena, I have heard some pretty convincing and logical issues regarding the general concerns about HP-UX system vs. Linux systems. These issues revolve around the hardware involved more than the actual OS.

The point that has been brought up is that the hardware for each OS is designed with a different thought in mind. One is built for reliability and one is built with cost savings in mind. The thought behind this seems rather obvious when you think about it for a minute.

If you look at your enterprise class servers running full-blown *NIX and compare them with the Intel machines in your organization, how much down time have you had with the enterprise *NIX servers vs. the Intel based systems? If you are like most of us, I would be willing to bet that you have had many more hardware issues with your Intel machines than you have with the other servers. Sure, it costs less to resolve these issues and you can normally go down to your local PC store and get replacement parts within minutes instead of having to order and wait for hours (or days or weeks), but the amount of total downtime is still something to be considered.

That type of issue can???t be resolved with any level of software support no matter how good it is.

If you ask me, you have to consider much more than just OS support levels when you consider the ideas of changing to a different hardware/software environment.

IMHO, Linux is great for systems that aren???t considered ???mission critical??? and that can be brought down on a somewhat regular basis but I wouldn???t consider putting it in any other role at this point. Maybe a few years down the line???

Just my $0.02.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

John,

I understand your post, but will state that I have a totally different opinion for many reasons.

Sure, many products for Intel are crap, but these can be easily avoided. I.E. Buy a HP Linux server, or any other vendor for that matter. Buy it with only hardware that HP(or IBM/Dell) supports. Now you have more reliable tested hardware.

Next, is availability. Almost identical in my mission critical apps. I have Linux boxes up longer that some servers, less than others. These are not just file/print servers, but FEA Clusters.

Lastly, is price. I can afford to put in a cluster of 3-4 Linux servers with 2xCPU 4GB memory for less money than I can buy a base L-Class system.

While fail-over is not up to *nix standards, the clustering is, and the horsepower/dollar is better.

So, If I was running a hospital and had to have my Oracle up 100% of the time no matter what, then go with HP/MC-SG, and HP Servers. If I can afford to be down for 5 minutes on a fail over, then *Nix is better for my money.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

If you have a software contract HP has some great resources who know Linux really well.

I actually don't have a contract on my Linux based web hosting business and totally support my operation here in itrc. My support contact is at work with HP-UX though I've gotten competant related help with Windows.

If you get a contract covering the Linux machines, there is a smaller, but expert group of people in the support center who really know their stuff. I've met a few of them and an instructor in education who really knows her Linux.

You have two options at least. These forums have really allowed me to support web hosting business at no additional cost. I don't get production down support, but I haven't needed it so far, since I keep a redundant server on site.

There are many issues to consider. Obviously the OS cost in Linux is less than HP-UX. There is no Ignite for Linux. LVM is there but not really prime time yet.

HP-UX has consistently proven itself the most reliable flavor of unix on the planet when mated with HP hardware. I've admit I've had more trouble with HP hardware at work than my PC based linux web hosting business, but HP hardware is pretty good.

So consider the replies carefully. You can do it. You can do it in a professional way with a clustered environment. If its really important, go for a software service contract.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com