Operating System - Microsoft
1752295 Members
4868 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP PAVILION 2000 from Japan queries...

HP PAVILION 2000 from Japan queries...

a gud day to ya'll gurus! My friend has a HP Pavilion 2000 pc which came from japan. It's a slim desktop type, really appealing casing! :)

But the problems are these.. hope you could all help.

1.) The CD Rom drive is not functioning (No power, cannot be detected, causes system to freeze)- perhaps irrepairable. It's a samsung slim vertical type with customized front panel for this casing. Now, if he would purchase an external cd-rom or cd-rw, how could we set it up to make that the primary boot device for installation purposes?

2.) The board is an Intel with Intel chipsets with onboard video. It came with a Celeron 533mhz/66mhz processor. What would be the maximum processor upgrade possible? Would a pentium III 800mhz or 1ghz work?

3.) There's no floppy also. Is it advisable to buy an external floppy or just a flash drive or dongle for transfer of files?

4.) What would be the maximum memory upgrade possible? Currently runs at 64mb pc100.

I thank you very much for your future replies...

MARAMING SALAMAT PO!
6 REPLIES 6
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1)External CD works if OS boot frm internal device. To boot from any external device you need enter into BIOS and look for boot device list. I'm in dubt you can make this.
2)Celeron and Pentium are different; you can change Celeron with Celeron; the real problem is motherboar clock: you have 66Mhz. I guess you can gain 10/20% of speed, not more.
3)Floppy has poor storage capacity. If you have USB it's better flash or dongle-disk.
4)Max memory is limit of motherboard; you could read documentation but I guess you can have 128 or 256Mb.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

You mean I can't put in a pentium processor even with the same no. of pins? The board is a 370 by the way. Does the 66mhz refer to the system bus speed of the board, not the processor itself? Do i need PC 100 SD ram also or would pc 133 work also? I couldn't find any documentation so i really need to rely on the info you provide being knowledgeable at this. Thank you and more power!

Hope more would reply to my queries...
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Socket 370 is designed for Celeron without L2 cache.
I'm dubt you can change processor holding other components (RAM, chipset).
Even you can replace processor, you can't change clock and if you overboost clock you need change RAM and you meet instability problem.
I guess it's better buy another PC.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

so in theory a celeron processor with a higher clockspeed would if the motherboard can support it? i ve changed the mem to 2x 128pc133 and seems stable at stock cpu speed.

Can someone tell me what board is in this unit? there are no markings. it uses intel 810 controller by the way. thanks!

ok i determined the motherboard. its model is T3838 and documentation says that it can hold upto 800mhz max cpu. celeron also i guess. mem can go upto 1024mb. well that's about it. thanks!

having identified the board and found only one reference regarding its specs, third hand info by the way, 800mhz is the boards max cpu. however i have no idea if its locked to 66mhz or if i can use a coppermine with fsb100, will a higher proc speed work theoretically like 900 or 1gig?

I have another unit, a pav 8613 and docu also states that its max cpu is 800mhz, but im running it now using a pe tualatin 1gig proc with no problems or errors? please just give an idea. thanks! :p