Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Plotter on Linux

Geetam
Frequent Advisor

HP Plotter on Linux

We have an HP DesignJet (non-Postscript) plotter. It works fine as a networked Windows plotter. I can also print to it from HP-UX (I configured the printer with hppi and I used lp to send an HP_GL file). I can also use the Windows commandline, 'net use \\server\printer LPT1' and then 'copy /b HP-GL.plt /b LPT1' also prints the image correctly

How do I get it to work from Linux (RedHat 6.2)? I thought that I should be able to set it up as a remote printer (printtool) and just send to HP-GL file to it. It prints the HP-GL as text, not the image.

I choose HP DesignJet 650 in printtool. I have tried to print a PostScript file, that works (through gs, I suppose), but that is not helping me to print HP-GL files.

I thought there should be a way to send the file to the printer without any conversion or printer control stuff, isn't that called 'raw'?

Any suggestions? Thanks
1 REPLY