1753561 Members
6193 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP QuickPlay Installation - Problems

Volker Schweyer

HP QuickPlay Installation - Problems

Hi folks,
I've got really trouble with installing hp quickplay on my HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC dv 1000.

What happens? After I deleted the existing Windows XP Version SP2 and deleting the partition for XP and QuickPlay, too, the trouble started. I've had created two partitions one for Quickplay and another one for XP and now I can't install HP Quickplay. I receive an error message that I either don't have enough space or I don't have a Notebook that uses and supports Quickplay - but I do. So what could be wrong? I've tried out a lot of things, giving the partition for hp quickplay more space (250mb), creating a new partition... . Nothing happend. So what could I do else? I heared that Quicllay needs a NON-DOS partition, is this right? I thought I would have a non-dos partition, but I'm not sure. Has anybody an idea? I really doesn't get it.
36 REPLIES 36
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Volker:
If you're using WinXP, it has to be on the FIRST partition (/dev/hda1). Quickplay needs at least 212MB on the SECOND partition (/dev/hda2). Leave this unformatted, as Quickplay insists on formatting it.
After that, you can install pretty much any other partitions you need. You just need to have the free 212MB partition IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING Windows.
Hope this helps; and, is worthy of your points.
Tom
Learn From History
Volker Schweyer

ok tom,

this means, I delete every existing partition, and then I install Win XP, there I'm creating a new partition for XP (the first partition) and another second partition with 212 mb unformated for quickplay. After I'll finish with the xp installation I start immediately with the quickpay installation - right?
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

I believe that's correct, Volker. However, you may get more feed back from others on the forum if they see that you assign points :)

When you return to view an answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10. To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply. Use the following scale when rating a response:
N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!
Learn From History
Adam Wright_1

I need to know about this as well. I had to reinstall quickplay, found that the cd was scratched, then fought for a few months trying to get a replacement mailed out (I guess it was hard to find at hp). I need to know exactly what type and size partition I need to install this.
Aris Petrov

I don't have the QuickPlay partition on my drive (I bought an open box HP dv4000). I wonder if I can add the 212 MB partition using Partition Magic. Any suggestions?
Andrew Stacey

I figured this out for anyone still having trouble.

1. Reformat hard drive so there is only one unformateed partition.
2. When you go to install windows and it asks you for the partition size, take 250 MB off the size that is there and install windows. so if it says 57250 for the current size, choose 57000. Do not go back and set a partition for the remaining space.
3. Once windows installs, insert the QuickPlay installation cd and reboot.

FYI, I had already set my free space to 204MB like the book said so I used partition magic to resize the partition adn it worked fine.
Chip Wood

I have sort of the opposite problem. My brand new dv4000 has the QuickPlay partition of 204MB. I want to add a new partition, but Partition Magic v8.0 keeps giving me errors saying "Selected disk contains one or more Partitions which cannot be moved" and my Create or Split menu items are grayed out. I have no preblems on other computers where I created new partitions. What trick do i need to allow me to add a new partition? HP Help Desk says I can't!!!.
Dimitri Toledo

Guys,
I`m having the same problem in my DV4030US. I try to install the QuickPlay software, but nothing happens. Only shows the Isolinux 2.08 boot up process, and from nothing, stop and the CAPS LOCK led indicator start to blink. I don`t receive any error message. I Try everything I read from foruns, HP on line help and etc.

My notebook came with Bios version f.13. I upgrade to F.16. I`m using Windows XP PRO Sp2 in Brasilian Portuguese Language.

Help? Please?

:-D
Adam Wright_1

It seems that there has been something wrong with most of he original cd's shipped by HP with their systems. I think you'll need to contact HP and request a new quickplay cd