108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Rack and Power Manager cant communicate with R3000XR UPS

SOLVED
Go to solution
jared()
Occasional Advisor

HP Rack and Power Manager cant communicate with R3000XR UPS

Hi. I have a new build Compaq dl380 server with w2k3 connected by serial port and power to R3000XR UPS.

The UPS appears as yellow exclamation mark and as Powerware UPS in device manager. All communication with UPS using HPRPM fails with 'invalid username/password', even though the product has been newly installed. The server did use to manage this UPS before being rebuilt.

I have read previous thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=950036 and have the issue that I dont want to have to power cycle the UPS to try and get connectivity as the battery only lasts for a short time

Someone suggested disabling the ILO CLI, how do I do this?

Any help appreciated
14 REPLIES 14
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Rack and Power Manager cant communicate with R3000XR UPS

Hi Jared,

here is "HP Integrated Lights-Out User Guide" that shows how to disable ILO.
http://docs.hp.com/en/238882-007/238882-007.pdf

Regards,
Sung
jared()
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the doc. I have now figured out that I dont have Lights Out - I have Remote Insight Manager - and there do not seem to be any settings for the serial port in the Remote Insight Manager? someone correct me if i'm wrong

Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you mean a Remote Insight Board, then there's no CLI (I think)
Have you checked if Windows' own UPS service is running - if so, disable it! That service will prevent other power management software accessing the device.

Regards,
Stephen
jared()
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately the windows UPS service is not running. This is proving to be a very problematic issue as I have a server running that will not come back up from a reboot - hence I dont want to power cycle the UPS.

I will try and connect the serial port to another server and see if this makes any difference, although this is not ideal either due to fiddling about with wires.

Am a bit disappointed that a newly built DL380 won't talk to it
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

This may Help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_ES041112_CW01&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

We have seen this in the past and it seemed to always get resolved with disabling the CLI portion of the ILO has resolved the issue.
jared()
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the doc. I did try that solution. I think the problem I have is that I have a DL380 G2 which doesnt have integrated ILO, but does however have a Remote Insight Management Card. Because of this I have no settings for the serial port in the ILO Rom Based Setup Utility.

Would a Remote Insight Management Card affect the serial port as it isnt integrated?

I am thinking I'd be best off just getting rid of the card, I dont really need it anyway
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

OK, i had the impression that you had a new DL380 G4, not the card that you have should not cause this issue. Have you tested the com port on your server? There are a few different tests we can try, one is to download the ERM configurator just to see if this will connect to the UPS. It can be downloaded here --> http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13383.html
This will test the communications with the UPS. Have you tested the COM port on the server by attempting to hyperterminal into a switch or other device? One more question, do you have any option cards installed in the UPS or is it just the standard serial port communications and no network link?
jared()
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have now tried to attach the UPS to a different server (same make, model), thats running W2K. I have this problem - HPRPM fails with 'invalid username/password', even though the product has been newly installed. Why is this? I take it the username and password is stored in Windows?

I have installed ERM configurator and I get:
UPS Found
Ver 1.07
Done

I dont know what to do really, this sucks. I need to reboot this UPS or something but I cant shut 1 of my servers down

Am thinking may have to try and install LANSafe on all the servers.. is this the best bet do you think? is it an HP Product? I'm only really using HPRPM because it was at this organisation before

Thanks
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

I think we got a little off base with this issue, there does not seem to be a problem with the communications itself. Would you mind attaching a screenshot of the error just to make sure I understand fully what is going on?
In regards to LanSafe, that is an option that is available to you. HP has 2 different UPS management SW applications. How many UPSs do you have in your environment?