108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UPS Management Module UPS-Pass Through Mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
JD_WF14
Occasional Advisor

HP UPS Management Module UPS-Pass Through Mode

We are trying to get an HP R3000XR ups to work with an hp UPS management module. I have installed and configured the card and I can access the card via a web browser. However the information it is displaying is all wrong. I found a Customer advisory explaining that the UPS needs to be a certian firmware level to get the card to read the information correctly. I am having a hard time getting the Management card to go into UPS-Pass Through mode.

Basically When I reset the card and push a button to inturupt the boot process, I am presented with 3 options, 1 configure card, 2 UPS-Pass Through, 3 Exit. When I push 2 the screen just sits there and says entering pass-through mode. Is there a trick to making this work? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I guess you see the Overview Meter wrongly report as a 3-phase UPS?
First, upgrade the FW of UPS R3000XR (make sure not a R/T3000) to FW= 2.02(once select option 2, the Config Port on the card will act as a serial port of the UPS, the UPS FW flash utility would communicate directly to UPS) or you can use the built-in serial port on UPS to flash the UPS (9600,8,n,1,none)

If your card has an old FW=1.20 then the lastest HPMM FW= 2.1.3, you can flash via the Config Port (as is, not set to Pass-Through) or via Network port.

Caution; both flash utilities are not the same!

Find them here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/rackandpower.html

Brian
JD_WF14
Occasional Advisor

When you say after you push #2 it becomes a serial port, does that mean the Teal adapater and standard cat5e cable will no longer work? I will need to use a standard serial config cable with 9600, 8,1, n? Thanks for the reply.
JD_WF14
Occasional Advisor

Forget the last post, I am pretty sure there is something wrong with these 2 UPS's. I have a r5500 in the same data center, and When I put that Management card into Pass through, I can get the ERM tool to connect and say invalid ups, I can also get HP Power Manager to connect to the UPS via serial. Do I need to just powercycle these r3000?
JD_WF14
Occasional Advisor

Just an FYI, I had to totally power down both UPS's to get the card to go into pass through mode so I could flash the UPS firmware.