1752591 Members
2911 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.00(64bit) Oracle 8.1.7

Mike Dunn
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX 11.00(64bit) Oracle 8.1.7

Has anyone installed 8.1.7 on an A500? I am having problems just installing the base product. It stops at the same spot every time. 85% complete with this error:
[-] ERROR IN WRITING TO FILE /ORACLE/PRODUCT/8.1.7/BIN/ORACLE

I have all the latest patches on my HP-UX system. I have set all the proper Oracle parameters per Oracle.

I am lost.

Mike Dunn
11 REPLIES 11
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Did you check if the filesystem is getting full?

-Regards
I am RU
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike

There is a HP patch (PHSS_22478) that have to be applied before the oracle Install . Also, the HP Unix system configration must be verified and make any necessary changes based on the Oracle 8.1.7 requirement.

Parameter Required
==================================
SHMMAX 1gb
SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10

SEMMNI 70
SEMMNS 200
MAX_THREAD_PROC > =256

check this out this may be the reason.

Manoj Srivastava
Oliver White
Occasional Advisor

Looks like this might be occurring during the link phase for the Oracle executable.
Check the maxdsiz and maxdsiz_64bit kernel parameters. These are not mentioned in the install doco, but are in the release notes. Oracle suggests 1 Gb for these parameters. The HPUX default may not be enough to link the Oracle executable.

Note that you need to look at BOTH maxdsiz and maxdsiz_64bit even if you are installing the 64-bit version on 64-bit HPUX.

Check ${ORACLE_HOME}/install/make.log for errors during the link phase.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
Agree with Oliver, had the same problem, even as I had the maxdsize_64bit set to 1 GB, I also needed to increase maxdsize.

Andreas

Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Mike Dunn
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the input, but I have changed all the HP configurable parameters per their (Oracles) request and documentation to no avail see attached. (a list of my configuration)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The error message look pretty conclusive: How much freespace is listed when you type the command:

bdf /ORACLE/PRODUCT/8.1.7/BIN/ORACLE

(I am assuming this is all UPPERCASE due to the Oracle error message...type the directory name as it actually appears on disk). Since you are loading Oracle, not running it, the kernel parameters will have no effect. Check the progress of the load with another window using bdf...if you see only a few megs left when the loading is 70% done, then the destination directory is much too small.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mike Dunn
Occasional Contributor

The space for the oracle install path is:

When I start the install the LVM /oracle has 2.28gb free and when it stops at 85% it has 800+mb free.
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
We had a similar problem when oracle trying to install
Please check if .profile is configured correctly.
Check for ORACLE_HOME and PATH setting when trying to install.

...BPK...
jeff rowland_1

Although was installing on a HP9000 HPUX 11 i ran into
the same problems trying to install Oracle 8.1.7.
After I installed patch PHSS-22478 and set the
kernel parameters as stated in the Oracle installation instructions(Section on how to prepare computer) everything went smoothly after that.
Is it true that if time has its way it will do right by you?