Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP UX 11iV3 Processor Upgrade

jsk_cbe
Occasional Advisor

HP UX 11iV3 Processor Upgrade

Hi Experts,
We want to upgrade our BL870C running with 2 processors and Service Guard with another 2 processors.
We just just bought 2 processors and memory from the HP resellers. But my doubt is that do we need to buy any more OS licenses for adding more processors?
Also would like to know when we add more procssor and memory on BL870c and BL860c running 11iv3, does it require a resintallation of OS..?
Please clarify.

Regards
Satheesh
4 REPLIES
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP UX 11iV3 Processor Upgrade

Currently HP-UX is licensed by core, so you'll need to by more licenses.

>when we add more processor and memory on BL870c and BL860c running 11i v3, does it require a reinstallation of OS?

I wouldn't think so, since it depends on the disk, architecture and machine similarity.

Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

>does it require a resintallation of OS.

You do not need to re-install the OS. But you would need to re-parametrize the kernel.

The new values of the parameters must reflect the fact that you have added more memory. Also, if your applications requested more memory, maybe your swap would need to be increased as well. This depends on your running applications requirements (it is not a must).

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
jsk_cbe
Occasional Advisor

Hi
thanks for the reply.
Do you have any idea which part number to order for HP-UX per processor license upgrade.
In software.hp.com one part number is a free receivable and another is priced.
Product #: B9089AC - this one is priced
B9088AC - this is one is free.
any idea.?

Regards
Satheesh
Unix Admin
Dubai
johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

Hi Satheesh,

>>We just just bought 2 processors and memory from the HP resellers

Are they with same speed and cpu revision of existing cpus?

But my doubt is that do we need to buy any more OS licenses for adding more processors?
Adding it may not be problem, but you should have the license