New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX Error 12

SOLVED
Go to solution
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
your problem is definitely your Oracle database SGA exceeding your shared memory on the system.Please reduce your SGA to resolve your problem.
If your Oracle application is 32 bit then your memory on the server can be used only to a extent.
Just go thru' this link.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x5694c3d7fb78d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

To resolve the error please reduce your SGA size and start the database.
If you have a big value for the large_pool_size or shared_pool_size just reduce that and try starting your database.
Then the problem can be investigated in detail

Thanks
G Manikandan

I reduced the shared_pool_size and then tried and even then I'm getting the same error. The reduced value is 15728640 and the old value being 1572864000. I need atleast 15Megs as the shared memory.
An workaround is made by adding one more swap space and the problem of memory is not occuring.

Siva
LINUX never dies
Admin.SIF
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Sysd. Amin. Inforef
pap
Respected Contributor

Hi,
You have to set "maxdsiz" parameter to a value equal to 2 GB. (0x7B03A0000) for 32 bit operation.

You may have to increase your swap memory depending upon the physical memory size.

"Winners don't do different things , they do things differently"
pap
Respected Contributor

Hi,
Are you still getting error?
Your problem solved????

Please update us so that we can have idea what is going on at your end.

Thanks,

Hi there,
Still the problem is occuring. As I said the workaround which I handled is that, I added one more swap space (paging) and it worked fine. But the size is getting increased drastically and I don't have so much of hard disk space to hold that. If any of you can give me any suggestions that would be great.

The value of maxdsiz is around 3GB.

Siva
LINUX never dies
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

To reduce the need for swapspace you can use the function called "psuedo-swap".

This is set up in the kernel and kindof fools the applications to belive there is swapspace available when there is not.

This us useful when running applications that must recide in physical memory (such as Oracle SGA) as you then never will utilize the swapspace.

How to set it up?
Set the kernel parameter "swapmem_on" to 1

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!

All,
I was changing the wrong init$SID.ora file and when I changed the exact file, I was able to bring up the oracle. But even then I need more shared memory for oracle (that can be set using shared_pool_size) and if I increase that I'm not able to bring up the database. So I need some workaround to make it work (one would be to add one more hard disk, but that's costlier). I appreciate all your help for fixing this.

Thanks & Regards
Siva
LINUX never dies
pap
Respected Contributor

Hi Shiva,

HAve you solved your problem? or still trying.
Please kindly update if you already resolved it. Also provide correct the resolution so that we can keep that in our mind.

Also, It will be great if you can assign points to all.

Hi there,
It is because of the very large value that is used for shared_pool_size. I reduced that to a reasonable value and I no longer face that problem. Thanks for everybody effort in helping me.

Pap,
Sure. I'll assign points to everybody based on the answers.

Thanks & Regards
Siva
LINUX never dies