New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX, Oracle, Omniback

Victor Geere
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX, Oracle, Omniback

HP-UX 11i
Oracle 9i
Omniback II A.04.10

How do you make the above mentioned work together in terms of agents, patches, installation etc? The rest of the server (excluding Oracle databases) are being backed up already.
I thought that I was because I had thought.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: HP-UX, Oracle, Omniback

The integration guide explains this in some detail:

http://ovweb.external.hp.com/ovnsmdps/pdf/b6960-90150.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Gnananandhan
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
you can separately stop oracle database and listener then do a backup. After finishing restart the database. For this write a script and enter it in the prior and post command execution fields of OB-II. This will do the required.

Or you can configure in OB-II itself, see in agent installation.
---
Also refer documents at
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/
----

Regards,
Gnana A.
If there is a better way to do it, find it !
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

If you're running the Enterprise Edition of 9i you might consider using the Recovery Manager (RMAN) to perform backups. This allows you to run online backup to disk or directly to tape (local tape).

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Trond Haugen
Honored Contributor

Not quite sure what you are asking but as for patches both Oracle and OmniBack have some pre requisites to be installed first. And OmniBack 4.1 has some patches to be installed afterwards.
As for Oracle db backup you can ether stop the db and do a backup of it and restart it (all thru pre- and post-exec scripts) or by the OmniBack Oracle integration and do it online. Which to choose depends on db uptime and money.
I would also suggest scheduling the OmniBack db backup as a separate schedule, to be done after the other backup is finished.

Regards,
Tron
Regards,
Trond Haugen
LinkedIn
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

In addition the the OB2 Database integrations (which are an add-on to OB2 and use RMAN) let me give you a Plan B which has almost all the benefits of a hotbackup with the safety of a cold backup.

1) Shutdown Oracle
2) Using OnlineJFS make snapshot mounts of all the database filesystems
3) Start Database
***** Steps 1-3 should take at most 2-3 minutes
4) Backup the snapshots
5) Remove the snapshot mounts

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.